Living Polymerization of N -Substituted β-Alanine N -Carboxyanhydrides: Kinetic Investigations and Preparation of an Amphiphilic Block Copoly-β-Peptoid
KAUST Grant NumberKUK-F1-029-32
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPoly(α-peptoid)s (N-substituted polyglycines) are interesting peptidomimetic biomaterials that have been discussed for many applications. Poly(β-peptoid)s (N-substituted poly-β-alanines), although equally intriguing, have received much less attention. Here we present results that suggest that while N-substituted β-alanine N-carboxyanhydrides can undergo a living nucleophilic ring-opening polymerization, the solubility of poly(β-peptoid)s can be very poor, which contributes to the limited accessibility using other synthetic approaches. The living character of the polymerization was utilized for the preparation of the first polymerized amphiphilic block copoly-β-peptoid. Our results may open a new route towards highly defined functional poly(β-peptoid)s which could represent biomaterials. © 2012 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim.
CitationGrossmann A, Luxenhofer R (2012) Living Polymerization of N -Substituted β-Alanine N -Carboxyanhydrides: Kinetic Investigations and Preparation of an Amphiphilic Block Copoly-β-Peptoid . Macromolecular Rapid Communications 33: 1714–1719. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/marc.201200263.
SponsorsThis publication is based on work supported by Award No. KUK-F1-029-32, made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). We would like to thank Prof. Dr. Rainer Jordan for providing facilities and support. R. L. would like to acknowledge financial support by the Fonds der Chemischen Industrie.
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Polypeptoids by living ring-opening polymerization of N-substituted N-carboxyanhydrides from solid supports.
- Authors: Gangloff N, Fetsch C, Luxenhofer R
- Issue date: 2013 Jun 25
- Cyclic poly(alpha-peptoid)s and their block copolymers from N-heterocyclic carbene-mediated ring-opening polymerizations of N-substituted N-carboxylanhydrides.
- Authors: Guo L, Zhang D
- Issue date: 2009 Dec 23
- Synthesis and characterization of cyclic and linear helical poly(alpha-peptoids)s by N-heterocyclic carbene-mediated ring-opening polymerizations of N-substituted N-carboxyanhydrides.
- Authors: Guo L, Li J, Brown Z, Ghale K, Zhang D
- Issue date: 2011
- N-Heterocyclic carbene-mediated zwitterionic polymerization of N-substituted N-carboxyanhydrides toward poly(α-peptoid)s: kinetic, mechanism, and architectural control.
- Authors: Guo L, Lahasky SH, Ghale K, Zhang D
- Issue date: 2012 Jun 6
- Poly(α-Peptoid)s Revisited: Synthesis, Properties, and Use as Biomaterial.
- Authors: Secker C, Brosnan SM, Luxenhofer R, Schlaad H
- Issue date: 2015 Jul