KAUST Grant NumberKUK-C1-013-04
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/598706
MetadataShow full item record
Abstract© the Partner Organisations 2014. We study the utility and validity of lattice-Boltzmann (LB) simulations to explore droplet evaporation driven by a concentration gradient. Using a binary-fluid lattice-Boltzmann algorithm based on Cahn-Hilliard dynamics, we study the evaporation of planar films and 3D sessile droplets from smooth solid surfaces. Our results show that LB simulations accurately reproduce the classical regime of quasi-static dynamics. Beyond this limit, we show that the algorithm can be used to explore regimes where the evaporative and diffusive timescales are not widely separated, and to include the effect of boundaries of prescribed driving concentration. We illustrate the method by considering the evaporation of a droplet from a solid surface that is chemically patterned with hydrophilic and hydrophobic stripes. This journal is
CitationLedesma-Aguilar R, Vella D, Yeomans JM (2014) Lattice-Boltzmann simulations of droplet evaporation. Soft Matter 10: 8267–8275. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/c4sm01291g.
SponsorsThis publication is based on work supported in part by Award no. KUK-C1-013-04, made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) (RL-A and DV) and by the ERC Advanced Grant (MiCE) (JMY).
PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Pinning-Depinning Mechanism of the Contact Line during Evaporation on Chemically Patterned Surfaces: A Lattice Boltzmann Study.
- Authors: Li Q, Zhou P, Yan HJ
- Issue date: 2016 Sep 20
- Shape of picoliter droplets on chemically striped patterned substrates.
- Authors: Jansen HP, Sotthewes K, Ganser C, Zandvliet HJ, Teichert C, Kooij ES
- Issue date: 2014 Oct 7
- Lattice Boltzmann modeling of directional wetting: comparing simulations to experiments.
- Authors: Jansen HP, Sotthewes K, van Swigchem J, Zandvliet HJ, Kooij ES
- Issue date: 2013 Jul
- Stability and dynamics of droplets on patterned substrates: insights from experiments and lattice Boltzmann simulations.
- Authors: Varnik F, Gross M, Moradi N, Zikos G, Uhlmann P, Müller-Buschbaum P, Magerl D, Raabe D, Steinbach I, Stamm M
- Issue date: 2011 May 11
- Multirelaxation-time lattice Boltzmann model for droplet heating and evaporation under forced convection.
- Authors: Albernaz D, Do-Quang M, Amberg G
- Issue date: 2015 Apr