Laser-Assisted Simultaneous Transfer and Patterning of Vertically Aligned Carbon Nanotube Arrays on Polymer Substrates for Flexible Devices
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe demonstrate a laser-assisted dry transfer technique for assembling patterns of vertically aligned carbon nanotube arrays on a flexible polymeric substrate. A laser beam is applied to the interface of a nanotube array and a polycarbonate sheet in contact with one another. The absorbed laser heat promotes nanotube adhesion to the polymer in the irradiated regions and enables selective pattern transfer. A combination of the thermal transfer mechanism with rapid direct writing capability of focused laser beam irradiation allows us to achieve simultaneous material transfer and direct micropatterning in a single processing step. Furthermore, we demonstrate that malleability of the nanotube arrays transferred onto a flexible substrate enables post-transfer tailoring of electric conductance by collapsing the aligned nanotubes in different directions. This work suggests that the laser-assisted transfer technique provides an efficient route to using vertically aligned nanotubes as conductive elements in flexible device applications. © 2012 American Chemical Society.
CitationIn JB, Lee D, Fornasiero F, Noy A, Grigoropoulos CP (2012) Laser-Assisted Simultaneous Transfer and Patterning of Vertically Aligned Carbon Nanotube Arrays on Polymer Substrates for Flexible Devices. ACS Nano 6: 7858–7866. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/nn302192y.
SponsorsThis work was supported by the SINAM NSF NSEC. The authors also thank the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) for the support through a grant to the ME Dept. of UC Berkeley. J.I. thanks Dr. Hojeong Jeon for assistance with microscope imaging.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- The fabrication of high aspect ratio carbon nanotube arrays by direct laser interference patterning.
- Authors: Lasagni A, Cross R, Graham S, Das S
- Issue date: 2009 Jun 17
- Formation of highly dense aligned ribbons and transparent films of single-walled carbon nanotubes directly from carpets.
- Authors: Pint CL, Xu YQ, Pasquali M, Hauge RH
- Issue date: 2008 Sep 23
- The rapid growth of vertically aligned carbon nanotubes using laser heating.
- Authors: Park JB, Jeong SH, Jeong MS, Lim SC, Lee IH, Lee YH
- Issue date: 2009 May 6
- Contamination-free and damage-free patterning of single-walled carbon nanotube transparent conductive films on flexible substrates.
- Authors: Su Y, Du J, Pei S, Liu C, Cheng HM
- Issue date: 2011 Nov
- Site-selective assembly of quantum dots on patterned self-assembled monolayers fabricated by laser direct-writing.
- Authors: Wu C, Wang Y, Han X, Hu X, Cheng Q, Han B, Liu Q, Ren T, He Y, Sun S, Ma H
- Issue date: 2012 Jun 15