Interactions of a Photochromic Spiropyran with Liposome Model Membranes
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/598643
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe interactions between anionic or zwitterionic liposomes and a water-soluble, DNA-binding photochromic spiropyran are studied using UV/vis absorption and linear dichroism (LD) spectroscopy. The spectral characteristics as well as the kinetics of the thermal isomerization process in the absence and presence of the two different liposome types provide information about the environment and whether or not the spiropyran resides in the liposome membrane. By measuring LD on liposomes deformed and aligned by shear flow, further insight is obtained about interaction and binding geometry of the spiropyran at the lipid membranes. We show that the membrane interactions differ between the two types of liposomes used as well as the isomeric forms of the spiropyran photoswitch. © 2013 American Chemical Society.
CitationJonsson F, Beke-Somfai T, Andréasson J, Nordén B (2013) Interactions of a Photochromic Spiropyran with Liposome Model Membranes. Langmuir 29: 2099–2103. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/la304867d.
SponsorsThe authors gratefully acknowledge the help with synthesis by Dr. Shiming Li. This work was funded by the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST Kuk No1) and by the European Research Council (ERC).
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Photoswitched DNA-binding of a photochromic spiropyran.
- Authors: Andersson J, Li S, Lincoln P, Andréasson J
- Issue date: 2008 Sep 10
- Spiropyran photoswitches in the context of DNA: synthesis and photochromic properties.
- Authors: Brieke C, Heckel A
- Issue date: 2013 Nov 11
- Transient absorption spectroscopy on spiropyran monolayers using nanosecond pump-probe Brewster angle reflectometry.
- Authors: Siebenhofer B, Gorelik S, Lear MJ, Song HY, Nowak C, Hobley J
- Issue date: 2013 May
- Isomerization dynamics of photochromic spiropyran molecular switches in phospholipid bilayers.
- Authors: Wohl CJ, Kuciauskas D
- Issue date: 2005 Nov 24
- Fabrication of spiropyran-containing thin film sensors used for the simultaneous identification of multiple metal ions.
- Authors: Fries KH, Driskell JD, Sheppard GR, Locklin J
- Issue date: 2011 Oct 4