KAUST Grant NumberKUS-CI-016-04
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPrincipal component analysis (PCA) is a popular dimension reduction method to reduce the complexity and obtain the informative aspects of high-dimensional datasets. When the data distribution is skewed, data transformation is commonly used prior to applying PCA. Such transformation is usually obtained from previous studies, prior knowledge, or trial-and-error. In this work, we develop a model-based method that integrates data transformation in PCA and finds an appropriate data transformation using the maximum profile likelihood. Extensions of the method to handle functional data and missing values are also developed. Several numerical algorithms are provided for efficient computation. The proposed method is illustrated using simulated and real-world data examples.
CitationMaadooliat M, Huang JZ, Hu J (2015) Integrating Data Transformation in Principal Components Analysis. Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics 24: 84–103. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10618600.2014.891461.
SponsorsWe thank an associate editor and two anonymous referees for their constructive and thoughtful comments that helped us tremendously in revising the manuscript. Maadooliat and Hu were partially supported by the National Science Foundation (grants DMS-0706818), the National Institutes of Health (grants R01GM080503-01A1, R21CA129671), and the National Cancer Institute (grant CA97007). Huang was partially supported by the National Science Foundation (grants DMS-0606580, DMS-0907170). Huang and Maadooliat were partially supported by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (grant KUS-CI-016-04).
PublisherInforma UK Limited
PubMed Central IDPMC4408558
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Decomposing ERP time-frequency energy using PCA.
- Authors: Bernat EM, Williams WJ, Gehring WJ
- Issue date: 2005 Jun
- Dimension selection for feature selection and dimension reduction with principal and independent component analysis.
- Authors: Koch I, Naito K
- Issue date: 2007 Feb
- SPARSE LOGISTIC PRINCIPAL COMPONENTS ANALYSIS FOR BINARY DATA.
- Authors: Lee S, Huang JZ, Hu J
- Issue date: 2010 Sep 1
- Stream-based Hebbian eigenfilter for real-time neuronal spike discrimination.
- Authors: Yu B, Mak T, Li X, Smith L, Sun Y, Poon CS
- Issue date: 2012 Apr 10
- Structured covariance principal component analysis for real-time onsite feature extraction and dimensionality reduction in hyperspectral imaging.
- Authors: Zabalza J, Ren J, Ren J, Liu Z, Marshall S
- Issue date: 2014 Jul 10