Integrated Multilayer Nanogenerator Fabricated Using Paired Nanotip-to-Nanowire Brushes
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe present a new approach to a nanogenerator (NG) that is composed of integrated, paired nanobrushes made of pyramid-shaped metal-coated ZnO nanotip (NTP) arrays and hexagonal-prism-shaped ZnO nanowire (NW) arrays, which were synthesized using a chemical approach at <100 °C on the two surfaces of a common substrate, respectively. The operation of the NGs relies on mechanical deflection/bending of the NWs, in which resonance of NWs is not required to activate the NG. This largely expands the application of the NGs from low frequency (approximately the hertz range) to a relatively high frequency (approximately the megahertz range) for effectively harvesting mechanical energies in our living environment. With one piece of such a structure stacked in close proximity over another to form a layer-by-layer matched brush architecture, direct current is generated by exciting the architecture using ultrasonic waves. A four-layer integrated NG is demonstrated to generate an output power density of 0.11 μW/cm 2 at 62 mV. The layer-by-layer assembly provides a feasible technology for building three-dimensional NGs for applications where force or pressure variations are available, such as a shoe pad, an underskin layer for airplanes, and next to a vibration source such as a car engine or tire. © 2008 American Chemical Society.
CitationXu S, Wei Y, Liu J, Yang R, Wang ZL (2008) Integrated Multilayer Nanogenerator Fabricated Using Paired Nanotip-to-Nanowire Brushes. Nano Lett 8: 4027–4032. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/nl8027813.
SponsorsThanks for the support from DARPA (Army/AMCOM/REDSTONE AR, W31P4Q-08-1-0009), BES DOE (DE-FG02-07ER46394), KAUST Global Research Partnership, Emory-Georgia Tech CCNE from NIH, NSF (DMS 0706436, CMMI 0403671). Thanks to Dr. Xudong Wang for many stimulating discussions.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Nanowire structured hybrid cell for concurrently scavenging solar and mechanical energies.
- Authors: Xu C, Wang X, Wang ZL
- Issue date: 2009 Apr 29
- Flexible high-output nanogenerator based on lateral ZnO nanowire array.
- Authors: Zhu G, Yang R, Wang S, Wang ZL
- Issue date: 2010 Aug 11
- Direct-current nanogenerator driven by ultrasonic waves.
- Authors: Wang X, Song J, Liu J, Wang ZL
- Issue date: 2007 Apr 6
- Low temperature synthesis and characterization of MgO/ZnO composite nanowire arrays.
- Authors: Shimpi P, Gao PX, Goberman DG, Ding Y
- Issue date: 2009 Mar 25
- Integrated nanogenerators in biofluid.
- Authors: Wang X, Liu J, Song J, Wang ZL
- Issue date: 2007 Aug