Influence of Backbone Fluorination in Regioregular Poly(3-alkyl-4-fluoro)thiophenes
Ratcliff, Erin L.
McNeill, Christopher R.
KAUST Grant NumberCRG-1-2012-THO-015
Online Publication Date2015-05-21
Print Publication Date2015-06-03
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/598621
MetadataShow full item record
Abstract© 2015 American Chemical Society. We report two strategies toward the synthesis of 3-alkyl-4-fluorothiophenes containing straight (hexyl and octyl) and branched (2-ethylhexyl) alkyl groups. We demonstrate that treatment of the dibrominated monomer with 1 equiv of alkyl Grignard reagent leads to the formation of a single regioisomer as a result of the pronounced directing effect of the fluorine group. Polymerization of the resulting species affords highly regioregular poly(3-alkyl-4-fluoro)thiophenes. Comparison of their properties to those of the analogous non-fluorinated polymers shows that backbone fluorination leads to an increase in the polymer ionization potential without a significant change in optical band gap. Fluorination also results in an enhanced tendency to aggregate in solution, which is ascribed to a more co-planar backbone on the basis of Raman and DFT calculations. Average charge carrier mobilities in field-effect transistors are found to increase by up to a factor of 5 for the fluorinated polymers.
CitationFei Z, Boufflet P, Wood S, Wade J, Moriarty J, et al. (2015) Influence of Backbone Fluorination in Regioregular Poly(3-alkyl-4-fluoro)thiophenes. Journal of the American Chemical Society 137: 6866–6879. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jacs.5b02785.
SponsorsThis work was supported by EPSRC grants EP/G060738/1 and EP/K029843/1, a KAUST Competitive Research grant under agreement no. CRG-1-2012-THO-015, and the Australian Research Council (FT100100275, DP130102616). We thank Dr. Scott E. Watkins (CSIRO Melbourne) for the PESA measurements. Part of this research was undertaken on the SAXS/WAXS beamline at the Australian Synchrotron, Victoria, Australia.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Highly disordered polymer field effect transistors: N-alkyl dithieno[3,2-b:2',3'-d]pyrrole-based copolymers with surprisingly high charge carrier mobilities.
- Authors: Liu J, Zhang R, Sauvé G, Kowalewski T, McCullough RD
- Issue date: 2008 Oct 1
- Thiophene fluorination to enhance photovoltaic performance in low band gap donor-acceptor polymers.
- Authors: Fei Z, Shahid M, Yaacobi-Gross N, Rossbauer S, Zhong H, Watkins SE, Anthopoulos TD, Heeney M
- Issue date: 2012 Nov 21
- Synthesis and characterization of regioregular alkyl-substituted poly(3,4-ethylenedioxythiophenes).
- Authors: Lee S, Lee KK, Lim E, Son HY
- Issue date: 2012 May
- Impact of backbone fluorination on nanoscale morphology and excitonic coupling in polythiophenes.
- Authors: Hu Z, Haws RT, Fei Z, Boufflet P, Heeney M, Rossky PJ, Vanden Bout DA
- Issue date: 2017 May 16
- Large blue-shift in the optical spectra of fluorinated polyphenylenevinylenes. A combined theoretical and experimental study.
- Authors: Piacenza M, Della Sala F, Farinola GM, Martinelli C, Gigli G
- Issue date: 2008 Mar 13