KAUST Grant NumberKUS-CI-016-04
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe modeling of gene networks from transcriptional expression data is an important tool in biomedical research to reveal signaling pathways and to identify treatment targets. Current gene network modeling is primarily based on the use of Gaussian graphical models applied to continuous data, which give a closedformmarginal likelihood. In this paper,we extend network modeling to discrete data, specifically data from serial analysis of gene expression, and RNA-sequencing experiments, both of which generate counts of mRNAtranscripts in cell samples.We propose a generalized linear model to fit the discrete gene expression data and assume that the log ratios of the mean expression levels follow a Gaussian distribution.We restrict the gene network structures to decomposable graphs and derive the graphs by selecting the covariance matrix of the Gaussian distribution with the hyper-inverse Wishart priors. Furthermore, we incorporate prior network models based on gene ontology information, which avails existing biological information on the genes of interest. We conduct simulation studies to examine the performance of our discrete graphical model and apply the method to two real datasets for gene network inference. © The Author 2013. Published by Oxford University Press. All rights reserved.
CitationZhang L, Mallick BK (2013) Inferring gene networks from discrete expression data. Biostatistics 14: 708–722. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/biostatistics/kxt021.
SponsorsThe research was supported by grants from the National Science Foundation DMS grant 0914951 and the KUS-CI-016-04 made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
PublisherOxford University Press (OUP)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Bayesian hierarchical graph-structured model for pathway analysis using gene expression data.
- Authors: Zhou H, Zheng T
- Issue date: 2013 Jun
- Weighted lasso in graphical Gaussian modeling for large gene network estimation based on microarray data.
- Authors: Shimamura T, Imoto S, Yamaguchi R, Miyano S
- Issue date: 2007
- A Local Poisson Graphical Model for inferring networks from sequencing data.
- Authors: Allen GI, Liu Z
- Issue date: 2013 Sep
- A duplication growth model of gene expression networks.
- Authors: Bhan A, Galas DJ, Dewey TG
- Issue date: 2002 Nov
- Network inference using informative priors.
- Authors: Mukherjee S, Speed TP
- Issue date: 2008 Sep 23