Increasing Solar Absorption for Photocatalysis with Black Hydrogenated Titanium Dioxide Nanocrystals
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWhen used as a photocatalyst, titanium dioxide (TiO 2) absorbs only ultraviolet light, and several approaches, including the use of dopants such as nitrogen, have been taken to narrow the band gap of TiO 2. We demonstrated a conceptually different approach to enhancing solar absorption by introducing disorder in the surface layers of nanophase TiO 2 through hydrogenation. We showed that disorder-engineered TiO 2 nanocrystals exhibit substantial solar-driven photocatalytic activities, including the photo-oxidation of organic molecules in water and the production of hydrogen with the use of a sacrificial reagent.
CitationChen X, Liu L, Yu PY, Mao SS (2011) Increasing Solar Absorption for Photocatalysis with Black Hydrogenated Titanium Dioxide Nanocrystals. Science 331: 746–750. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1126/science.1200448.
SponsorsWe thank M. S. Dresselhaus for encouragement, M. T. Lee and S. H. Shen for their assistance, and R. Greif for discussions and critical reading of the manuscript. This research has been supported by the Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy of the U.S. Department of Energy. S.S.M. and X.C. also acknowledge support from the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology–University of California Academic Excellence Alliance. TEM work was performed at the National Center for Electron Microscopy, which is supported by the Office of Science, Office of Basic Energy Sciences of the U.S. Department of Energy.
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Effective increasing of optical absorption and energy conversion efficiency of anatase TiO2 nanocrystals by hydrogenation.
- Authors: Lu J, Dai Y, Jin H, Huang B
- Issue date: 2011 Oct 28
- Visible-light photocatalysis in nitrogen-doped titanium oxides.
- Authors: Asahi R, Morikawa T, Ohwaki T, Aoki K, Taga Y
- Issue date: 2001 Jul 13
- Kinetics and mechanism of TNT degradation in TiO2 photocatalysis.
- Authors: Son HS, Lee SJ, Cho IH, Zoh KD
- Issue date: 2004 Oct
- Application of visible-light photocatalysis with nitrogen-doped or unmodified titanium dioxide for control of indoor-level volatile organic compounds.
- Authors: Jo WK, Kim JT
- Issue date: 2009 May 15
- Solar Fenton and solar TiO2 catalytic treatment of ofloxacin in secondary treated effluents: evaluation of operational and kinetic parameters.
- Authors: Michael I, Hapeshi E, Michael C, Fatta-Kassinos D
- Issue date: 2010 Oct