Incorporation of Furan into Low Band-Gap Polymers for Efficient Solar Cells
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/598609
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe design, synthesis, and characterization of the first examples of furan-containing low band-gap polymers, PDPP2FT and PDPP3F, with substantial power conversion efficiencies in organic solar cells are reported. Inserting furan moieties in the backbone of the conjugated polymers enables the use of relatively small solubilizing side chains because of the significant contribution of the furan rings to overall polymer solubility in common organic solvents. Bulk heterojunction solar cells fabricated from furan-containing polymers and PC71BM as the acceptor showed power conversion efficiencies reaching 5.0%. © 2010 American Chemical Society.
CitationWoo CH, Beaujuge PM, Holcombe TW, Lee OP, Fréchet JMJ (2010) Incorporation of Furan into Low Band-Gap Polymers for Efficient Solar Cells. Journal of the American Chemical Society 132: 15547–15549. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/ja108115y.
SponsorsThis work was supported by the Director, Office of Science, Office of Basic Energy Sciences, Materials Sciences and Engineering Division, of the U.S. Department of Energy under Contract No. DE-AC02-05CH11231, and by the Center for Advanced Molecular Photovoltaics (Award No. KUS-C1-015-21), supported by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). C.H.W. and T.W.H. thank the National Science Foundation for graduate research fellowships.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Side-chain tunability of furan-containing low-band-gap polymers provides control of structural order in efficient solar cells.
- Authors: Yiu AT, Beaujuge PM, Lee OP, Woo CH, Toney MF, Fréchet JM
- Issue date: 2012 Feb 1
- Tuning the absorption, charge transport properties, and solar cell efficiency with the number of thienyl rings in platinum-containing poly(aryleneethynylene)s.
- Authors: Wong WY, Wang XZ, He Z, Chan KK, Djurisić AB, Cheung KY, Yip CT, Ng AM, Xi YY, Mak CS, Chan WK
- Issue date: 2007 Nov 21
- A new class of semiconducting polymers for bulk heterojunction solar cells with exceptionally high performance.
- Authors: Liang Y, Yu L
- Issue date: 2010 Sep 21
- Efficient tandem polymer solar cells fabricated by all-solution processing.
- Authors: Kim JY, Lee K, Coates NE, Moses D, Nguyen TQ, Dante M, Heeger AJ
- Issue date: 2007 Jul 13
- Synthesis of fluorene-based semiconducting copolymers for organic solar cells.
- Authors: Oh JH, Kim JH, Kim YT, Shin WS, Yoon SC, Moon SJ, Lee C, Kang IN, Hwang DH
- Issue date: 2012 May