Incorporating Multiple Energy Relay Dyes in Liquid Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells
Hardin, Brian E.
Hoke, Eric T.
Zakeeruddin, Shaik M.
Nazeeruddin, Mohammad K.
McGehee, Michael D.
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-C1–015–21
Online Publication Date2011-01-05
Print Publication Date2011-02-25
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/598608
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPanchromatic response is essential to increase the light-harvesting efficiency in solar conversion systems. Herein we show increased light harvesting from using multiple energy relay dyes inside dye-sensitized solar cells. Additional photoresponse from 400-590 nm matching the optical window of the zinc phthalocyanine sensitizer was observed due to Förster resonance energy transfer (FRET) from the two energy relay dyes to the sensitizing dye. The complementary absorption spectra of the energy relay dyes and high excitation transfer efficiencies result in a 35% increase in photovoltaic performance. © 2011 Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH& Co. KGaA.
CitationYum J-H, Hardin BE, Hoke ET, Baranoff E, Zakeeruddin SM, et al. (2011) Incorporating Multiple Energy Relay Dyes in Liquid Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells. ChemPhysChem 12: 657–661. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/cphc.201000854.
SponsorsThe EPFL-affiliated authors thank the Swiss National Science Foundation for Financial Support. E. T. Hoke was funded by the Fannie and John Hertz Foundation. M. Grätzel and T. Torres were supported by EU Project ROBUST DSC, FP7-Energy-2007–1-RTD. This publication is partially based on work supported by the Center for Advanced Molecular Photovoltaics (Award No KUS-C1–015–21), made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) gratefully acknowledged by M. Grätzel and M. McGehee. Financial support by the MEC, Spain (CTQ2008–00418/BQU, CONSOLIDER-INGENIO 2010 CDS 2007–00010, PLE2009–0070), and CAM (MADRISOLAR-2, S2009/PPQ/1533), is gratefully acknowledged by T. Torres.
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Modeling the efficiency of Förster resonant energy transfer from energy relay dyes in dye-sensitized solar cells.
- Authors: Hoke ET, Hardin BE, McGehee MD
- Issue date: 2010 Feb 15
- Large pi-aromatic molecules as potential sensitizers for highly efficient dye-sensitized solar cells.
- Authors: Imahori H, Umeyama T, Ito S
- Issue date: 2009 Nov 17
- Energy and hole transfer between dyes attached to titania in cosensitized dye-sensitized solar cells.
- Authors: Hardin BE, Sellinger A, Moehl T, Humphry-Baker R, Moser JE, Wang P, Zakeeruddin SM, Grätzel M, McGehee MD
- Issue date: 2011 Jul 13
- Förster resonance energy transfer in dye-sensitized solar cells.
- Authors: Basham JI, Mor GK, Grimes CA
- Issue date: 2010 Mar 23
- Co-sensitization of organic dyes for efficient ionic liquid electrolyte-based dye-sensitized solar cells.
- Authors: Kuang D, Walter P, Nüesch F, Kim S, Ko J, Comte P, Zakeeruddin SM, Nazeeruddin MK, Grätzel M
- Issue date: 2007 Oct 23