Incomplete Exciton Harvesting from Fullerenes in Bulk Heterojunction Solar Cells
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/598607
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe investigate the internal quantum efficiencies (IQEs) of high efficiency poly-3-hexylthiophene:[6,6]-phenyl-C61-butyric acid methyl ester (P3HT:PCBM) solar cells and find them to be lower at wavelengths where the PCBM absorbs. Because the exciton diffusion length in PCBM is too small, excitons generated in PCBM decay before reaching the donor-acceptor interface. This result has implications for most state of the art organic solar cells, since all of the most efficient devices use fullerenes as electron acceptors. © 2009 American Chemical Society.
CitationBurkhard GF, Hoke ET, Scully SR, McGehee MD (2009) Incomplete Exciton Harvesting from Fullerenes in Bulk Heterojunction Solar Cells. Nano Lett 9: 4037–4041. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/nl902205n.
SponsorsThis work was supported by the Center for Advanced Molecular Photovoltaics (Award No KUS-C1-015-21), made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) and partially by the Global Climate Energy Project (GCEP). E.T.H. is supported by the National Science Foundation GRFP and the Fannie and John Hertz Foundation.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Nanofibrillar self-organization of regioregular poly(3-hexylthiophene) and [6,6]-phenyl C(61)-butyric acid methyl ester by dip-coating: a simple method to obtain efficient bulk heterojunction solar cells.
- Authors: Valentini L, Bagnis D, Kenny JM
- Issue date: 2009 Mar 4
- Electron accumulation on metal nanoparticles in plasmon-enhanced organic solar cells.
- Authors: Salvador M, MacLeod BA, Hess A, Kulkarni AP, Munechika K, Chen JI, Ginger DS
- Issue date: 2012 Nov 27
- P3HT/PCBM bulk heterojunction organic photovoltaics: correlating efficiency and morphology.
- Authors: Chen D, Nakahara A, Wei D, Nordlund D, Russell TP
- Issue date: 2011 Feb 9
- Fulleropyrrolidines bearing π-conjugated moiety for polymer solar cells: contribution of the chromophoric substituent on C₆₀ to the photocurrent.
- Authors: Saravanan C, Liu CL, Chang YM, Lu JD, Hsieh YJ, Rwei SP, Wang L
- Issue date: 2012 Nov
- Analysis of annealing process on P3HT:PCBM-based polymer solar cells using optical and impedance spectroscopy.
- Authors: Kim JY, Noh S, Kwak J, Lee C
- Issue date: 2013 May