In situ investigation of dye adsorption on TiO2 films using a quartz crystal microbalance with a dissipation technique
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-C1-015-21
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/598595
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDye adsorption plays a crucial role in dye-sensitized solar cells. Herein, we demonstrate an in situ liquid-phase analytical technique to quantify in real time adsorption of dye and coadsorbates on flat and mesoporous TiO 2 films. For the first time, a molar ratio of co-adsorbed Y123 and chenodeoxycholic acid has been measured. © 2012 the Owner Societies.
CitationHarms HA, Tétreault N, Gusak V, Kasemo B, Grätzel M (2012) In situ investigation of dye adsorption on TiO2 films using a quartz crystal microbalance with a dissipation technique. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics 14: 9037. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/c2cp41268c.
SponsorsWe thank Dr C. Yi for synthesizing the Y123 sensitizer, Dr S. M. Zakeeruddin for the Z907 solution, Dr K. Voitchovsky for AFM measurements and Dr F. Andersson at Q-sense for assistance during the initial measurements. This work was supported by the Swiss National Science Foundation (Grant No. 200020-134856/1) and partially based on work supported by the Center for Advanced Molecular Photovoltaics (Award No KUS-C1-015-21), made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). The work at Chalmers (VG and BK) was supported by the Swedish Energy Agency project Nano-See, # 0189-1. MG thanks the European Science Foundation for research support under the Mesolight Advanced Research Grant (Mesolight).
PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- In Situ Mapping of the Molecular Arrangement of Amphiphilic Dye Molecules at the TiO₂ Surface of Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells.
- Authors: Voïtchovsky K, Ashari-Astani N, Tavernelli I, Tétreault N, Rothlisberger U, Stellacci F, Grätzel M, Harms HA
- Issue date: 2015 May 27
- Dye bonding to TiO2: in situ attenuated total reflection infrared spectroscopy study, simulations, and correlation with dye-sensitized solar cell characteristics.
- Authors: Völker B, Wölzl F, Bürgi T, Lingenfelser D
- Issue date: 2012 Aug 7
- Monitoring N3 dye adsorption and desorption on TiO2 surfaces: a combined QCM-D and XPS study.
- Authors: Wayment-Steele HK, Johnson LE, Tian F, Dixon MC, Benz L, Johal MS
- Issue date: 2014 Jun 25
- Kinetics of in situ desorption of dye molecules on sensitized TiO(2) nanoparticles in a high concentration solution: ion parasitic adsorption process and mass reference.
- Authors: Liu W, Liu F, Liu Y, Ai Y
- Issue date: 2018 Aug 15
- Adsorption of chitosan on PET films monitored by quartz crystal microbalance.
- Authors: Indest T, Laine J, Ribitsch V, Johansson LS, Stana-Kleinschek K, Strnad S
- Issue date: 2008 Aug