Improving the efficiency of optical coherence tomography by using the non-ideal behaviour of a polarising beam splitter
KAUST Grant NumberKUK-C1-013-04
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe present a new way of improving the efficiency of optical coherence tomography by using the polarisation crosstalk of a polarizing beam splitter to direct most of the available source optical power to the sample. The use of a quarter wave plate in both the reference and the sample arms allows most of the sample power to be directed to the detector while adjusting the reference arm to ensure noise optimised operation. As a result, the sensitivity of such a system can be improved by 6 dB, or alternatively the acquisition time can be improved by a factor of 4 for shot noise limited performance,compared to a traditional OCT configuration using a 50/50 beam splitter. © 2011 Optical Society of America.
CitationLippok N, Nielsen P, Vanholsbeeck F (2011) Improving the efficiency of optical coherence tomography by using the non-ideal behaviour of a polarising beam splitter. Optics Express 19: 7161. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1364/OE.19.007161.
SponsorsThe authors would like to Ackowledge Dr Stephane Coen for his useful corrections. This work was supported by the NERF grant from the Foundation for Research Science and Technology from the New Zealand gouvernement. This publication is also based on work supported in part by Award No KUK-C1-013-04, made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
PublisherThe Optical Society
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- 3x3 Mach-Zehnder interferometer with unbalanced differential detection for full-range swept-source optical coherence tomography.
- Authors: Mao Y, Sherif S, Flueraru C, Chang S
- Issue date: 2008 Apr 20
- Improved interferometric detection of scattered light with a 4f imaging system.
- Authors: Pyhtila JW, Wax A
- Issue date: 2005 Apr 1
- Improved spectral optical coherence tomography using optical frequency comb.
- Authors: Bajraszewski T, Wojtkowski M, Szkulmowski M, Szkulmowska A, Huber R, Kowalczyk A
- Issue date: 2008 Mar 17
- Quasi-single shot axial-lateral parallel time domain optical coherence tomography with Hilbert transformation.
- Authors: Watanabe Y, Sato M
- Issue date: 2008 Jan 21
- Evaluation of effective noise bandwidth for broadband optical coherence tomography operation.
- Authors: Cernat R, Dobre GM, Bradu A, Podoleanu AG
- Issue date: 2009 Apr