Imaging the Microscopic Structure of Shear Thinning and Thickening Colloidal Suspensions
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-C1-018-02
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe viscosity of colloidal suspensions varies with shear rate, an important effect encountered in many natural and industrial processes. Although this non-Newtonian behavior is believed to arise from the arrangement of suspended particles and their mutual interactions, microscopic particle dynamics are difficult to measure. By combining fast confocal microscopy with simultaneous force measurements, we systematically investigate a suspension's structure as it transitions through regimes of different flow signatures. Our measurements of the microscopic single-particle dynamics show that shear thinning results from the decreased relative contribution of entropic forces and that shear thickening arises from particle clustering induced by hydrodynamic lubrication forces. This combination of techniques illustrates an approach that complements current methods for determining the microscopic origins of non-Newtonian flow behavior in complex fluids.
CitationCheng X, McCoy JH, Israelachvili JN, Cohen I (2011) Imaging the Microscopic Structure of Shear Thinning and Thickening Colloidal Suspensions. Science 333: 1276–1279. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1126/science.1207032.
SponsorsWe thank T. Beatus, Y.-C. Lin, J. Brady, L. Ristroph, and N. Wagner for useful discussions. This research was supported by grants from NSF Civil, Mechanical, and Manufacturing Innovation, Division of Materials Research (DMR), and DMR Materials Research Science and Engineering Centers, and in part by award KUS-C1-018-02 from King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). J. N. I. was supported by the U.S. Department of Energy, Division of Materials Sciences and Engineering under award DE-FG02-87ER-45331.
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Mesoscale hydrodynamic modeling of a colloid in shear-thinning viscoelastic fluids under shear flow.
- Authors: Ji S, Jiang R, Winkler RG, Gompper G
- Issue date: 2011 Oct 7
- Microscopic mechanism for shear thickening of non-Brownian suspensions.
- Authors: Fernandez N, Mani R, Rinaldi D, Kadau D, Mosquet M, Lombois-Burger H, Cayer-Barrioz J, Herrmann HJ, Spencer ND, Isa L
- Issue date: 2013 Sep 6
- Shear Thinning of Noncolloidal Suspensions.
- Authors: Vázquez-Quesada A, Tanner RI, Ellero M
- Issue date: 2016 Sep 2
- The Rheology of Bimodal Mixtures of Colloidal Particles with Long-Range, Soft Repulsions.
- Authors: Hunt WJ, Zukoski CF
- Issue date: 1999 Feb 15
- Non-Newtonian behavior in simple fluids.
- Authors: Delhommelle J, Petravic J, Evans DJ
- Issue date: 2004 Apr 1