Imaging the Hidden Modes of Ultrathin Plasmonic Strip Antennas by Cathodoluminescence
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-C1-015-21
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe perform spectrally resolved cathodoluminescence (CL) imaging nanoscopy using a 30 keV electron beam to identify the resonant modes of an ultrathin (20 nm), laterally tapered plasmonic Ag nanostrip antenna. We resolve with deep-subwavelength resolution four antenna resonances (resonance orders m = 2-5) that are ascribed to surface plasmon polariton standing waves that are confined on the strip. We map the local density of states on the strip surface and show that it has contributions from symmetric and antisymmetric surface plasmon polariton modes, each with a very different mode index. This work illustrates the power of CL experiments that can visualize hidden modes that for symmetry reasons have been elusive in optical light scattering experiments. © 2011 American Chemical Society.
CitationBarnard ES, Coenen T, Vesseur EJR, Polman A, Brongersma ML (2011) Imaging the Hidden Modes of Ultrathin Plasmonic Strip Antennas by Cathodoluminescence. Nano Lett 11: 4265–4269. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/nl202256k.
SponsorsThe authors would like to thank Ragip A. Pala for assistance in preparation of the samples used in this work. The Stanford part of this work is supported by the Center for Advanced Molecular Photovoltaics (Award No KUS-C1-015-21), made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). CL experiments were performed at AMOLF and are part of the research program of FOM that is financially supported by NWO. Work at AMOLF is also supported by NanoNextNL, a nanotechnology program of the Dutch Ministry of Economic Affairs. It is also part of the research program “Microscopy and modification of nanostructures with focused electron and ion beams” that is cofinanced by FEI Company.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Deep subwavelength spatial characterization of angular emission from single-crystal Au plasmonic ridge nanoantennas.
- Authors: Coenen T, Vesseur EJ, Polman A
- Issue date: 2012 Feb 28
- Plasmonic whispering gallery cavities as optical nanoantennas.
- Authors: Vesseur EJ, Polman A
- Issue date: 2011 Dec 14
- Plasmonic modes of annular nanoresonators imaged by spectrally resolved cathodoluminescence.
- Authors: Hofmann CE, Vesseur EJ, Sweatlock LA, Lezec HJ, García de Abajo FJ, Polman A, Atwater HA
- Issue date: 2007 Dec
- Visualization of surface plasmon polariton waves in two-dimensional plasmonic crystal by cathodoluminescence.
- Authors: Takeuchi K, Yamamoto N
- Issue date: 2011 Jun 20
- Imaging of plasmonic modes of silver nanoparticles using high-resolution cathodoluminescence spectroscopy.
- Authors: Chaturvedi P, Hsu KH, Kumar A, Fung KH, Mabon JC, Fang NX
- Issue date: 2009 Oct 27