Kelly, Michael A.
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-F1-033-02
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe edges of a two-dimensional electron gas (2DEG) in the quantum Hall effect (QHE) regime are divided into alternating metallic and insulating strips, with their widths determined by the energy gaps of the QHE states and the electrostatic Coulomb interaction. Local probing of these submicrometer features, however, is challenging due to the buried 2DEG structures. Using a newly developed microwave impedance microscope, we demonstrate the real-space conductivity mapping of the edge and bulk states. The sizes, positions, and field dependence of the edge strips around the sample perimeter agree quantitatively with the self-consistent electrostatic picture. The evolution of microwave images as a function of magnetic fields provides rich microscopic information around the ν=2 QHE state. © 2011 American Physical Society.
CitationLai K, Kundhikanjana W, Kelly MA, Shen Z-X, Shabani J, et al. (2011) Imaging of Coulomb-Driven Quantum Hall Edge States. Physical Review Letters 107. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.107.176809.
SponsorsWe would like to thank Steve A. Kivelson, Shoucheng Zhang, David Goldhaber-Gordon, and Bertrand I. Halperin for the helpful discussion. The work is supported by NSF grants DMR-0906027 and Center of Probing the Nanoscale PHY-0425897; DOE-DE-FG03-01ER45929-A001 for the equipment; NSF grants ECCS-1001719, DMR-1033046, and DOE-DE-FG02-00-ER45841 for the 2DEG materials; and King Abdullah University of Science and Technology Fellowship (KUS-F1-033-02).
PublisherAmerican Physical Society (APS)
JournalPhysical Review Letters
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Quantum Hall Effect in Electron-Doped Black Phosphorus Field-Effect Transistors.
- Authors: Yang F, Zhang Z, Wang NZ, Ye GJ, Lou W, Zhou X, Watanabe K, Taniguchi T, Chang K, Chen XH, Zhang Y
- Issue date: 2018 Sep 20
- Near-field optical mapping of quantum Hall edge states.
- Authors: Ito H, Furuya K, Shibata Y, Kashiwaya S, Yamaguchi M, Akazaki T, Tamura H, Ootuka Y, Nomura S
- Issue date: 2011 Dec 16
- Tunnelling between the edges of two lateral quantum Hall systems
- Authors: Kang W, Stormer HL, Pfeiffer LN, Baldwin KW, West KW
- Issue date: 2000 Jan 6
- Topological edge states and fractional quantum Hall effect from umklapp scattering.
- Authors: Klinovaja J, Loss D
- Issue date: 2013 Nov 8
- Charge and spin transport in edge channels of a ν=0 quantum Hall system on the surface of topological insulators.
- Authors: Morimoto T, Furusaki A, Nagaosa N
- Issue date: 2015 Apr 10