Identifying individual n- and p-type ZnO nanowires by the output voltage sign of piezoelectric nanogenerator
Online Publication Date2009-08-18
Print Publication Date2009-09-09
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/598552
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBased on a comparative study between the piezoelectric outputs of n-type nanowires (NWs) and n-core/p-shell NWs along with the previous study (Lu et al 2009 Nano. Lett. 9 1223), we demonstrate a one-step technique for identifying the conductivity type of individual ZnO nanowires (NWs) based on the output of a piezoelectric nanogenerator without destroying the sample. A negative piezoelectric output voltage indicates an NW is n-type and it appears after the tip scans across the center of the NW, while a positive output voltage reveals p-type conductivity and it appears before the tip scans across the central line of the NW. This atomic force microscopy based technique is reliable for statistically mapping the majority carrier type in ZnO NWs arrays. The technique may also be applied to other wurtzite semiconductors, such as GaN, CdS and ZnS. © 2009 IOP Publishing Ltd.
CitationLin SS, Song JH, Lu YF, Wang ZL (2009) Identifying individual n- and p-type ZnO nanowires by the output voltage sign of piezoelectric nanogenerator. Nanotechnology 20: 365703. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/0957-4484/20/36/365703.
SponsorsResearch supported by DARPA (Army/AMCOM/REDSTONE AR, W31P4Q-08-1-0009), BES DOE (DE-FG02-07ER46394), Air Force Office (FA9550-08-1-0446), DARPA/ARO W911NF-08-1-0249, KAUST Global Research Partnership, World Premier International Research Center (WPI) Initiative on Materials Nanoarchitectonics, MEXT, Japan, NSF (DMS 0706436, CMMI 0403671). SSL gratefully acknowledges the fellowship from China Scholarship Council (CSC) (No. 2008632026). We thank Dr Jung-il Hong for his guidance in PLD synthesis.
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- GaN nanowire arrays for high-output nanogenerators.
- Authors: Huang CT, Song J, Lee WF, Ding Y, Gao Z, Hao Y, Chen LJ, Wang ZL
- Issue date: 2010 Apr 7
- Templated one step electrodeposition of high aspect ratio n-type ZnO nanowire arrays.
- Authors: Sharma SK, Rammohan A, Sharma A
- Issue date: 2010 Apr 1
- Piezoelectric potential in vertically aligned nanowires for high output nanogenerators.
- Authors: Romano G, Mantini G, Di Carlo A, D'Amico A, Falconi C, Wang ZL
- Issue date: 2011 Nov 18
- An ab initio study of energetic stability and electronic confinement for different structural phases of ZnO nanowires.
- Authors: Schmidt TM, Miwa RH
- Issue date: 2009 May 27
- ZnO-ZnS heterojunction and ZnS nanowire arrays for electricity generation.
- Authors: Lu MY, Song J, Lu MP, Lee CY, Chen LJ, Wang ZL
- Issue date: 2009 Feb 24