KAUST Grant NumberKUK-I1-012-43
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/598530
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTwo indicators of the hydropathicity of small solutes are introduced and tested by molecular dynamics simulations. These indicators are defined as probabilities of the orientation of water molecules' dipoles and hydrogen bond vectors, conditional on a generalized distance from the solute suitable for arbitrarily shaped molecules. Using conditional probabilities, it is possible to distinguish features of the distributions in close proximity of the solute. These regions contain the most significant information on the hydration structure but cannot be adequately represented by using, as is usually done, joint distance-angle probability densities. Our calculations show that using our indicators a relative hydropathicity scale for the interesting test set of the quaternary ammonium cations can be roughly determined. © 2010 American Chemical Society.
CitationBabiaczyk WI, Bonella S, Guidoni L, Ciccotti G (2010) Hydration Structure of the Quaternary Ammonium Cations. J Phys Chem B 114: 15018–15028. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jp106282w.
SponsorsThis work was partially supported by Award No. KUK-I1-012-43 made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). G.C. acknowledges financial support from Science Foundations of Ireland (SFI) through the PI Grant 08/IN.1/11869. L.G. acknowledges funding provided by the European Research Council project n. 240624 and computer resources from CASPUR grant no. std09-332.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Reversal of Hofmeister ordering for pairing of NH4(+) vs alkylated ammonium cations with halide anions in water.
- Authors: Heyda J, Lund M, Oncák M, Slavícek P, Jungwirth P
- Issue date: 2010 Aug 26
- Insights into the transport of aqueous quaternary ammonium cations: a combined experimental and computational study.
- Authors: Sarode HN, Lindberg GE, Yang Y, Felberg LE, Voth GA, Herring AM
- Issue date: 2014 Feb 6
- Cation and strong co-solute effects on protein kinetic stability.
- Authors: Broering JM, Bommarius AS
- Issue date: 2007 Dec
- Changes in water structure induced by a hydrophobic solute probed by simulation of the water hydrogen bond angle and radial distribution functions.
- Authors: Madan B, Sharp K
- Issue date: 1999 Apr 5
- In situ solid-state (1)H NMR studies of hydration of the solid acid catalyst ZSM-5 in its ammonium form.
- Authors: Xu M, Harris KD, Thomas JM
- Issue date: 2009 Apr