How High Local Charge Carrier Mobility and an Energy Cascade in a Three-Phase Bulk Heterojunction Enable >90% Quantum Efficiency
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-C1-015-21
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCharge generation in champion organic solar cells is highly efficient in spite of low bulk charge-carrier mobilities and short geminate-pair lifetimes. In this work, kinetic Monte Carlo simulations are used to understand efficient charge generation in terms of experimentally measured high local charge-carrier mobilities and energy cascades due to molecular mixing. © 2013 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim.
CitationBurke TM, McGehee MD (2013) How High Local Charge Carrier Mobility and an Energy Cascade in a Three-Phase Bulk Heterojunction Enable >90% Quantum Efficiency. Advanced Materials 26: 1923–1928. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/adma.201304241.
SponsorsThis publication was based on work supported by the Center for Advanced Molecular Photovoltaics (CAMP) (Award No KUS-C1-015-21), made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). TB was supported by a National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship under Grant No. DGE-1147470. Additional support was provided by Stanford University via a Stanford Graduate Fellowship.
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Influence of permittivity and energetic disorder on the spatial charge carrier distribution and recombination in organic bulk-heterojunctions.
- Authors: Albes T, Gagliardi A
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 9
- Origin of the efficient polaron-pair dissociation in polymer-Fullerene blends.
- Authors: Deibel C, Strobel T, Dyakonov V
- Issue date: 2009 Jul 17
- Evolved phase separation toward balanced charge transport and high efficiency in polymer solar cells.
- Authors: Fan H, Zhang M, Guo X, Li Y, Zhan X
- Issue date: 2011 Sep
- On the role of local charge carrier mobility in the charge separation mechanism of organic photovoltaics.
- Authors: Yoshikawa S, Saeki A, Saito M, Osaka I, Seki S
- Issue date: 2015 Jul 21
- Geminate charge recombination in polymer/fullerene bulk heterojunction films and implications for solar cell function.
- Authors: Pal SK, Kesti T, Maiti M, Zhang F, Inganäs O, Hellström S, Andersson MR, Oswald F, Langa F, Osterman T, Pascher T, Yartsev A, Sundström V
- Issue date: 2010 Sep 8