Highly Defined Multiblock Copolypeptoids: Pushing the Limits of Living Nucleophilic Ring-Opening Polymerization
KAUST Grant NumberKUK-F1-029-32
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAdvanced macromolecular engineering requires excellent control over the polymerization reaction. Living polymerization methods are notoriously sensitive to impurities, which makes a practical realization of such control very challenging. Reversible-deactivation radical polymerization methods are typically more robust, but have other limitations. Here, we demonstrate by repeated (ge;10 times) chain extension the extraordinary robustness of the living nucleophilic ring-opening polymerization of N-substituted glycine N-carboxyanhydrides, which yields polypeptoids. We observe essentially quantitative end-group fidelity under experimental conditions that are comparatively easily managed. This is employed to synthesize a pentablock quinquiespolymer with high definition. © 2012 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim.
CitationFetsch C, Luxenhofer R (2012) Highly Defined Multiblock Copolypeptoids: Pushing the Limits of Living Nucleophilic Ring-Opening Polymerization. Macromolecular Rapid Communications 33: 1708–1713. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/marc.201200189.
SponsorsThis publication is based on work supported by Award No. KUK-F1-029-32, made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Polypeptoids by living ring-opening polymerization of N-substituted N-carboxyanhydrides from solid supports.
- Authors: Gangloff N, Fetsch C, Luxenhofer R
- Issue date: 2013 Jun 25
- Living polymerization of N-substituted β-alanine N-carboxyanhydrides: kinetic investigations and preparation of an amphiphilic block copoly-β-peptoid.
- Authors: Grossmann A, Luxenhofer R
- Issue date: 2012 Oct 15
- Toward living radical polymerization.
- Authors: Moad G, Rizzardo E, Thang SH
- Issue date: 2008 Sep
- Block copolypeptides prepared by N-carboxyanhydride ring-opening polymerization.
- Authors: Habraken GJ, Heise A, Thornton PD
- Issue date: 2012 Feb 27
- Synthesis of polypeptides by ring-opening polymerization of α-amino acid N-carboxyanhydrides.
- Authors: Cheng J, Deming TJ
- Issue date: 2012