AuthorsChen, John J.
Conron, Sarah M.
Thompson, Mark E.
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-C1-015-21
MetadataShow full item record
Abstract© 2014 American Chemical Society. A benzannulated boron dipyrromethene (BODIPY, bDIP) molecule exhibiting strong absorption at 640 nm was synthesized. The organic dye was used in an organic solar cell as the electron donor with C60 as the acceptor. The BODIPY dye demonstrated the best performance in lamellar architecture (indium tin oxide (ITO)/bDIP/C60/bathocuproine/Al), giving power conversion efficiency up to 4.5% with short-circuit current (JSC) of 8.7 mA/cm2 and an open-circuit voltage (VOC) of 0.81 V. Neutron reflectivity experiments were performed on the bilayer film to investigate the thickness dependence of JSC. A 13 nm mixed layer was found to be present at the donor/acceptor interface in the bilayer device, formed when the C60 was deposited onto a room temperature bDIP film. Planar-mixed heterojunction devices were fabricated to understand the extent of spontaneous mixing between the donor and acceptor materials. The native mixed region in the bilayer device was shown to most resemble 1:3 bDIP:C60 layer in the structure: (ITO/bDIP/bDIP:C60 blend/C60/bathocuproine/Al).
CitationChen JJ, Conron SM, Erwin P, Dimitriou M, McAlahney K, et al. (2015) High-Efficiency BODIPY-Based Organic Photovoltaics. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 7: 662–669. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/am506874k.
SponsorsWe would like to acknowledge the Nanoflex Power Corporation and the Center for Advanced Molecular Photovoltaics (CAMP) (KUS-C1-015-21) of the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) for financial support of this work.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Solution-processed organic photovoltaics based on indoline dye molecules developed in dye-sensitized solar cells.
- Authors: Liu Z, Ojima H, Hong Z, Kido J, Tian W, Wang XF
- Issue date: 2013 Mar 7
- The role of Fe3O4 nanocrystal film in bilayer-heterojunction CuPc/C60 solar cells.
- Authors: Meng F, Tao C, Wang Y, Shen L, Guo W, Chen Y, Ruan S
- Issue date: 2014 May
- Universal Efficiency Improvement in Organic Solar Cells Based on a Poly(3-hexylthiophene) Donor and an Indene-C60 Bisadduct Acceptor with Additional Donor Nanowires.
- Authors: Joe SY, Yim JH, Ryu SY, Ha NY, Ahn YH, Park JY, Lee S
- Issue date: 2015 Apr 27
- Pentafluorophenoxy boron subphthalocyanine (F5BsubPc) as a multifunctional material for organic photovoltaics.
- Authors: Morse GE, Gantz JL, Steirer KX, Armstrong NR, Bender TP
- Issue date: 2014 Feb 12
- Interface Engineering of Organic Schottky Barrier Solar Cells and Its Application in Enhancing Performances of Planar Heterojunction Solar Cells.
- Authors: Jin F, Su Z, Chu B, Cheng P, Wang J, Zhao H, Gao Y, Yan X, Li W
- Issue date: 2016 May 17