MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe use confocal microscopy and particle image velocimetry to visualize motion of 250-300 nm. fluorescent tracer particles in entangled polymers subject to a rectilinear shear flow. Our results show linear velocity profiles in polymer solutions spanning a wide range of molecular weights and number of entanglements (8≤Z≤56), but reveal large differences between the imposed and measured shear rates. These findings disagree with recent reports that shear banding is a characteristic flow response of entangled polymers, and instead point to interfacial slip as an important source of strain loss. © 2008 The American Physical Society.
CitationHayes KA, Buckley MR, Cohen I, Archer LA (2008) High Resolution Shear Profile Measurements in Entangled Polymers. Physical Review Letters 101. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.101.218301.
SponsorsThis study was supported by the National Science Foundation (DMR0551185 and DMR0606040) and by KAUST-CU Center for Energy and Sustainability. We are grateful to Erik Herz and Ulrich Wiesner for providing fluorescent nanoparticle tracers used in the study.
PublisherAmerican Physical Society (APS)
JournalPhysical Review Letters
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Shear banding in entangled polymers in the micron scale gap: a confocal-rheoscopic study.
- Authors: Boukany PE, Wang SQ, Ravindranath S, Lee LJ
- Issue date: 2015 Nov 7
- Shear-banding and superdiffusivity in entangled polymer solutions.
- Authors: Shin S, Dorfman KD, Cheng X
- Issue date: 2017 Dec
- Direct visualization of flow-induced conformational transitions of single actin filaments in entangled solutions.
- Authors: Kirchenbuechler I, Guu D, Kurniawan NA, Koenderink GH, Lettinga MP
- Issue date: 2014 Oct 9
- New light on old wisdoms on molten polymers: conformation, slippage and shear banding in sheared entangled and unentangled melts.
- Authors: Noirez L, Mendil-Jakani H, Baroni P
- Issue date: 2009 Oct 19
- Elastic turbulence in entangled semi-dilute DNA solutions measured with optical coherence tomography velocimetry.
- Authors: Malm AV, Waigh TA
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 26