High Excitation Transfer Efficiency from Energy Relay Dyes in Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells
AuthorsHardin, Brian E.
Hoke, Eric T.
Jun, Young Chul
Brongersma, Mark L.
Nazeeruddin, Md. Khaja
McGehee, Michael D.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe energy relay dye, 4-(Dicyanomethylene)-2-methyl-6-(4- dimethylaminostyryl)-4H-pyran (DCM), was used with a near-infrared sensitizing dye, TT1, to increase the overall power conversion efficiency of a dye-sensitized solar cell (DSC) from 3.5% to 4.5%. The unattached DCM dyes exhibit an average excitation transfer efficiency (EÌ?TE) of 96% inside TT1-covered, mesostructured TiO2 films. Further performance increases were limited by the solubility of DCM in an acetonitrile based electrolyte. This demonstration shows that energy relay dyes can be efficiently implemented in optimized dye-sensitized solar cells, but also highlights the need to design highly soluble energy relay dyes with high molar extinction coefficients. © 2010 American Chemical Society.
CitationHardin BE, Yum J-H, Hoke ET, Jun YC, Péchy P, et al. (2010) High Excitation Transfer Efficiency from Energy Relay Dyes in Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells. Nano Lett 10: 3077–3083. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/nl1016688.
SponsorsB. E. Hardin would like to thank Pascal Comte for preparing the TiO2 films and BET measurements. J.-H. Yum thanks Dr. Shaik M. Zakeeruddin for preparing the electrolytes. This work was primarily supported by the Office of Naval Research Contract No. N00014-08-1-1163. M. McGehee acknowledges support from the Center for Advanced Molecular Photovoltaics through a grant from King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, and T. Torres acknowledges support from ESF-SOHYD Program, COST Action D35, and the EU Project ROBUST DSC, FP7-Energy-2007-1-RTD, No. 212792, MEC, Spain (CTQ2008-00418/BQU, CONSOLIDER-INGENIO 2010 CDS 2007-00010, PLE2009-0070, PSE-120000-2009-008 FOTOMOL), and CAM (MADRISOLAR-2, S2009/PPQ/1533).
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Modeling the efficiency of Förster resonant energy transfer from energy relay dyes in dye-sensitized solar cells.
- Authors: Hoke ET, Hardin BE, McGehee MD
- Issue date: 2010 Feb 15
- Incorporating multiple energy relay dyes in liquid dye-sensitized solar cells.
- Authors: Yum JH, Hardin BE, Hoke ET, Baranoff E, Zakeeruddin SM, Nazeeruddin MK, Torres T, McGehee MD, Grätzel M
- Issue date: 2011 Feb 25
- Large pi-aromatic molecules as potential sensitizers for highly efficient dye-sensitized solar cells.
- Authors: Imahori H, Umeyama T, Ito S
- Issue date: 2009 Nov 17
- High-efficiency Förster resonance energy transfer in solid-state dye sensitized solar cells.
- Authors: Mor GK, Basham J, Paulose M, Kim S, Varghese OK, Vaish A, Yoriya S, Grimes CA
- Issue date: 2010 Jul 14
- Energy and hole transfer between dyes attached to titania in cosensitized dye-sensitized solar cells.
- Authors: Hardin BE, Sellinger A, Moehl T, Humphry-Baker R, Moser JE, Wang P, Zakeeruddin SM, Grätzel M, McGehee MD
- Issue date: 2011 Jul 13