KAUST Grant NumberCRG-1-2012-FRA-005-HAR
Online Publication Date2014-03-03
Print Publication Date2014-03-18
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/598447
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIt is possible to harvest energy from Earth's thermal infrared emission into outer space. We calculate the thermodynamic limit for the amount of power available, and as a case study, we plot how this limit varies daily and seasonally in a location in Oklahoma. We discuss two possible ways to make such an emissive energy harvester (EEH): A thermal EEH (analogous to solar thermal power generation) and an optoelectronic EEH (analogous to photovoltaic power generation). For the latter, we propose using an infrared-frequency rectifying antenna, and we discuss its operating principles, efficiency limits, system design considerations, and possible technological implementations.
CitationByrnes SJ, Blanchard R, Capasso F (2014) Harvesting renewable energy from Earth’s mid-infrared emissions. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 111: 3927–3932. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1402036111.
SponsorsWe thank John Dykema and Roger O’Brient for helpful discussions. The authors acknowledge support from King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (Award CRG-1-2012-FRA-005-HAR).
PubMed Central IDPMC3964088
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- How does the Earth system generate and maintain thermodynamic disequilibrium and what does it imply for the future of the planet?
- Authors: Kleidon A
- Issue date: 2012 Mar 13
- Life, hierarchy, and the thermodynamic machinery of planet Earth.
- Authors: Kleidon A
- Issue date: 2010 Dec
- Thermodynamic limits of energy harvesting from outgoing thermal radiation.
- Authors: Buddhiraju S, Santhanam P, Fan S
- Issue date: 2018 Apr 17
- Designing high-performance nighttime thermoradiative systems for harvesting energy from outer space.
- Authors: Zhang X, Du J, Chen J, Ang LK, Ang YS
- Issue date: 2020 Nov 1
- The Sun's Influence on the Earh's Atmosphere and Interplanetary Space.
- Authors: Evans JV
- Issue date: 1982 Apr 30