Grey water characterization and treatment for reuse in an arid environment
KAUST Grant NumberUK-C0015
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/598433
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractGrey water from a university facilities building in Cairo, Egypt was analysed for basic wastewater parameters. Mean concentrations were calculated based on grab samples over a 16-month period. Values for chemical oxygen demand (COD) and nutrients exceeded values reported in a number of other studies of grey water, while coliform counts were also high. A submerged membrane bioreactor (SMBR) system using a hollow fibre ultrafiltration membrane was used to treat the grey water with the aim of producing effluent that meets reuse guidelines for agriculture. A test run for 50 days at constant transmembrane pressure resulted in very good removal for key parameters including COD, total suspended solids (TSS), colour, turbidity, ammonia nitrogen, anionic surfactants, and coliform bacteria. High standard deviations were observed for COD and coliform concentrations for both monthly grab samples and influent values from the 50-day SMBR experiment. SMBR effluent meets international and local guidelines for at least restricted irrigation, particularly as pertains to COD, TSS, and faecal coliforms which were reduced to mean treated values of 50 mg/L, 0 mg/L (i.e., not detected), and <50 cfu/100 mL, respectively. © IWA Publishing 2012.
CitationSmith E, Bani-Melhem K (2012) Grey water characterization and treatment for reuse in an arid environment. Water Science & Technology 66: 72. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.2166/wst.2012.167.
SponsorsThis publication is based on work supported by Award No. UK-C0015, made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
JournalWater Science & Technology
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Single house on-site grey water treatment using a submerged membrane bioreactor for toilet flushing.
- Authors: Fountoulakis MS, Markakis N, Petousi I, Manios T
- Issue date: 2016 May 1
- Water quality assessment in an arid region using a water quality index.
- Authors: Varnosfaderany MN, Mirghaffary N, Ebrahimi E, Soffianian A
- Issue date: 2009
- [Evaluation of bacterial and polluting loads of effluent from activated sludge wastewater treatment plants in Yaounde, Cameroon].
- Authors: Njiné T, Monkiédjé A, Nola M, Foko VS
- Issue date: 2001 Apr-Jun
- Use of cloth-media filter for membrane bioreactor treating municipal wastewater.
- Authors: Zahid WM, El-Shafai SA
- Issue date: 2011 Feb
- Treatment of domestic wastewater in an up-flow anaerobic sludge blanket reactor followed by moving bed biofilm reactor.
- Authors: Tawfik A, El-Gohary F, Temmink H
- Issue date: 2010 Feb