KAUST Grant NumberKUSC1-015-21
Online Publication Date2010-08-11
Print Publication Date2010-09-13
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/598389
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe use a rigorous electromagnetic approach to analyze the fundamental limit of light-trapping enhancement in grating structures. This limit can exceed the bulk limit of 4n 2, but has significant angular dependency. We explicitly show that 2D gratings provide more enhancement than 1D gratings. We also show the effects of the grating profile’s symmetry on the absorption enhancement limit. Numerical simulations are applied to support the theory. Our findings provide general guidance for the design of grating structures for light-trapping solar cells.
CitationYu Z, Raman A, Fan S (2010) Fundamental limit of light trapping in grating structures. Optics Express 18: A366. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1364/oe.18.00a366.
SponsorsThis work was supported by DOE Grant No. DE- FG02-07ER46426 and by the Center forAdvanced Molecular Photovoltaics (CAMP) (Award No KUSC1-015-21) made by KingAbdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
PublisherThe Optical Society
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Understanding of photocurrent enhancement in real thin film solar cells: towards optimal one-dimensional gratings.
- Authors: Naqavi A, Söderström K, Haug FJ, Paeder V, Scharf T, Herzig HP, Ballif C
- Issue date: 2011 Jan 3
- Fundamental limit of nanophotonic light trapping in solar cells.
- Authors: Yu Z, Raman A, Fan S
- Issue date: 2010 Oct 12
- Combined front and back diffraction gratings for broad band light trapping in thin film solar cell.
- Authors: Meng X, Drouard E, Gomard G, Peretti R, Fave A, Seassal C
- Issue date: 2012 Sep 10
- Nanoimprinted diffraction gratings for crystalline silicon solar cells: implementation, characterization and simulation.
- Authors: Mellor A, Hauser H, Wellens C, Benick J, Eisenlohr J, Peters M, Guttowski A, Tobías I, Martí A, Luque A, Bläsi B
- Issue date: 2013 Mar 11
- 2D back-side diffraction grating for improved light trapping in thin silicon solar cells.
- Authors: Gjessing J, Marstein ES, Sudbø A
- Issue date: 2010 Mar 15