Bourlinos, Athanasios B.
Giannelis, Emmanuel P.
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-C1-018-02
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe report for the first time an ionic fluid based on hydroxylated fullerenes (fullerols). The ionic fluid was synthesized by neutralizing the fully protonated fullerol with an amine terminated polyethylene/polypropylene oxide oligomer (Jeffamine®). The ionic fluid was compared to a control synthesized by mixing the partially protonated form (sodium form) of the fullerols with the same oligomeric amine in the same ratio as in the ionic fluids (20 wt% fullerol). In the fullerol fluid the ionic bonding significantly perturbs the thermal transitions and melting/crystallization behavior of the amine. In contrast, both the normalized heat of fusion and crystallization of the amine in the control are similar to those of the neat amine consistent with a physical mixture of the fullerols/amine with minimal interactions. In addition to differences in thermal behavior, the fullerol ionic fluid exhibits a complex viscoelastic behavior intermediate between the neat Jeffamine® (liquid-like) and the control (solid-like). © 2010 The Royal Society of Chemistry.
CitationFernandes N, Dallas P, Rodriguez R, Bourlinos AB, Georgakilas V, et al. (2010) Fullerol ionic fluids. Nanoscale 2: 1653. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/c0nr00307g.
SponsorsThis publication is based on work supported in part by Award No. KUS-C1-018-02 made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Vibrational spectroscopy and ionic conductivity of polyethylene oxide-NaClO4-CuO nanocomposite.
- Authors: Dey A, Das K, Karan S, De SK
- Issue date: 2011 Dec
- Reduction of hydroxylated fullerene (fullerol) in water by zinc: reaction and hemiketal product characterization.
- Authors: Wu J, Alemany LB, Li W, Petrie L, Welker C, Fortner JD
- Issue date: 2014 Jul 1
- Fullerol in human lens and retinal pigment epithelial cells: time domain fluorescence spectroscopy and imaging.
- Authors: Taroni P, D'Andrea C, Valentini G, Cubeddu R, Hu DN, Roberts JE
- Issue date: 2011 Jun
- Fullerol cluster formation in aqueous solutions: implications for environmental release.
- Authors: Brant JA, Labille J, Robichaud CO, Wiesner M
- Issue date: 2007 Oct 1
- Activation Effect of Fullerene C60 on the Carbon Dioxide Absorption Performance of Amine-Rich Polypropylenimine Dendrimers.
- Authors: Andreoli E, Barron AR
- Issue date: 2015 Aug 24