Flow-alignment of bicellar lipid mixtures: orientations of probe molecules and membrane-associated biomacromolecules in lipid membranes studied with polarized light
KAUST Grant NumberKUK-11-008-23
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/598344
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBicelles are excellent membrane-mimicking hosts for a dynamic and structural study of solutes with NMR, but the magnetic fields required for their alignment are hard to apply to optical conditions. Here we demonstrate that bicellar mixtures can be aligned by shear forces in a Couette flow cell, to provide orientation of membrane-bound retinoic acid, pyrene and cytochrome c (cyt c) protein, conveniently studied with linear dichroism spectroscopy. © 2011 The Royal Society of Chemistry.
CitationKogan M, Beke-Somfai T, Nordén B (2011) Flow-alignment of bicellar lipid mixtures: orientations of probe molecules and membrane-associated biomacromolecules in lipid membranes studied with polarized light. Chem Commun 47: 7356. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/c1cc12313k.
SponsorsThis work is financed by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) (Grant KUK-11-008-23) and the European Research Council (ERC-2008 AdG 227700-SUMO).
PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- High anisotropy of flow-aligned bicellar membrane systems.
- Authors: Kogan M, Nordén B, Beke-Somfai T
- Issue date: 2013 Oct-Nov
- Probing Microscopic Orientation in Membranes by Linear Dichroism.
- Authors: Rocha S, Kogan M, Beke-Somfai T, Nordén B
- Issue date: 2016 Mar 29
- Magnetically aligned bicelles to study the orientation of lipophilic ligands in membrane bilayers.
- Authors: Guo J, Yang DP, Chari R, Tian X, Pavlopoulos S, Lu D, Makriyannis A
- Issue date: 2008 Nov 13
- Not only oxidation of cardiolipin affects the affinity of cytochrome C for lipid bilayers.
- Authors: Kawai C, Ferreira JC, Baptista MS, Nantes IL
- Issue date: 2014 Oct 16
- How to link pyrene to its host lipid to minimize the extent of membrane perturbations and to optimize pyrene dimer formation.
- Authors: Fraňová MD, Repáková J, Holopainen JM, Vattulainen I
- Issue date: 2014 Jan