AuthorsWagner, Till J. W.
KAUST Grant NumberKUK-C1-013-04
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/598339
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe investigate the deformation of a thin elastic sheet floating on a liquid surface and subject to a uniaxial compression. We show that at a critical compression the sheet delaminates from the liquid over a finite region forming a delamination "blister." This blistering regime adds to the wrinkling and localized folding regimes that have been studied previously. The transition from wrinkled to blistered states occurs when delamination becomes energetically favorable compared with wrinkling. We determine the initial blister size and the evolution of blister size with continuing compression before verifying our theoretical results with experiments at a macroscopic scale. © 2011 American Physical Society.
CitationWagner TJW, Vella D (2011) Floating Carpets and the Delamination of Elastic Sheets. Physical Review Letters 107. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.107.044301.
SponsorsThis publication is based on work supported in part by Grant No. KUK-C1-013-04, made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). T. J. W. W. is supported by EPSRC. We thank R. Sayag and D. Page-Croft for technical assistance with experiments.
PublisherAmerican Physical Society (APS)
JournalPhysical Review Letters
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Pattern transitions in a compressible floating elastic sheet.
- Authors: Oshri O, Diamant H
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 13
- Regimes of wrinkling in an indented floating elastic sheet.
- Authors: Vella D, Davidovitch B
- Issue date: 2018 Jul
- Wrinkling-to-delamination transition in thin polymer films on compliant substrates.
- Authors: Nolte AJ, Young Chung J, Davis CS, Stafford CM
- Issue date: 2017 Nov 8
- Skin friction blistering: computer model.
- Authors: Xing M, Pan N, Zhong W, Maibach H
- Issue date: 2007 Aug
- Geometry and physics of wrinkling.
- Authors: Cerda E, Mahadevan L
- Issue date: 2003 Feb 21