Fabrication and Surface Properties of Composite Films of SAM/Pt/ZnO/SiO 2
AbstractThrough synthetic architecture and functionalization with self-assembled monolayers (SAMs), complex nanocomposite films of SAM/Pt/ZnO/SiO2 have been facilely prepared in this work. The nanostructured films are highly uniform and porous, showing a wide range of tunable wettabilities from superhydrophilicity to superhydrophobicity (water contact angles: 0° to 170°). Our approach offers synthetic flexibility in controlling film architecture, surface topography, coating texture, crystallite size, and chemical composition of modifiers (e.g., SAMs derived from alkanethiols). For example, wettability properties of the nanocomposite films can be finely tuned with both inorganic phase (i.e., ZnO/SiO2 and Pt/ZnO/SiO2) and organic phase (i.e., SAMs on Pt/ZnO/SiO2). Due to the presence of catalytic components Pt/ZnO within the nanocomposites, surface reactions of the organic modifiers can further take place at room temperature and elevated temperatures, which provides a means for SAM formation and elimination. Because the Pt/ZnO forms an excellent pair of metal-semiconductors for photocatalysis, the anchored SAMs can also be modified or depleted by UV irradiation (i.e., the films possess self-cleaning ability). Potential applications of these nanocomposite films have been addressed. Our durability tests also confirm that the films are thermally stable and structurally robust in modification- regeneration cycles. © 2008 American Chemical Society.
CitationYao KX, Zeng HC (2008) Fabrication and Surface Properties of Composite Films of SAM/Pt/ZnO/SiO 2 . Langmuir 24: 14234–14244. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/la802528y.
SponsorsThe authors gratefully acknowledge the technical assistance provided by Miss Jie Ren in thin film preparation and XRD phase confirmation, and the financial supports provided by the National University of Singapore, Singapore, and the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, Saudi Arabia.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Wettability control of ZnO nanoparticles for universal applications.
- Authors: Lee M, Kwak G, Yong K
- Issue date: 2011 Sep
- Formation of Au-Pt bimetallic nanoparticles in a two-layer SiO2 films doped with Au and Pt, respectively, through interlayer diffusion.
- Authors: Pal S, De G
- Issue date: 2008 Jul 21
- Synthesis of ZnO nanoflowers and their wettabilities and photocatalytic properties.
- Authors: Guo X, Zhao Q, Li R, Pan H, Guo X, Yin A, Dai W
- Issue date: 2010 Aug 16
- Multidentate adsorbates for self-assembled monolayer films.
- Authors: Chinwangso P, Jamison AC, Lee TR
- Issue date: 2011 Jul 19
- Double-layered TiO2-SiO2 nanostructured films with self-cleaning and antireflective properties.
- Authors: Zhang X, Fujishima A, Jin M, Emeline AV, Murakami T
- Issue date: 2006 Dec 21