Evaluating the Performance of DFT Functionals in Assessing the Interaction Energy and Ground-State Charge Transfer of Donor/Acceptor Complexes: Tetrathiafulvalene−Tetracyanoquinodimethane (TTF−TCNQ) as a Model Case
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-C1-015-21
Online Publication Date2011-01-18
Print Publication Date2011-03-08
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/598242
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe have evaluated the performance of several density functional theory (DFT) functionals for the description of the ground-state electronic structure and charge transfer in donor/acceptor complexes. The tetrathiafulvalene- tetracyanoquinodimethane (TTF-TCNQ) complex has been considered as a model test case. Hybrid functionals have been chosen together with recently proposed long-range corrected functionals (ωB97X, ωB97X-D, LRC-ωPBEh, and LC-ωPBE) in order to assess the sensitivity of the results to the treatment and magnitude of exact exchange. The results show an approximately linear dependence of the ground-state charge transfer with the HOMO TTF-LUMOTCNQ energy gap, which in turn depends linearly on the percentage of exact exchange in the functional. The reliability of ground-state charge transfer values calculated in the framework of a monodeterminantal DFT approach was also examined. © 2011 American Chemical Society.
CitationSini G, Sears JS, Brédas J-L (2011) Evaluating the Performance of DFT Functionals in Assessing the Interaction Energy and Ground-State Charge Transfer of Donor/Acceptor Complexes: Tetrathiafulvalene−Tetracyanoquinodimethane (TTF−TCNQ) as a Model Case. Journal of Chemical Theory and Computation 7: 602–609. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/ct1005517.
SponsorsThis work has been supported by the Center for Advanced Molecular Photovoltaics, Award No. KUS-C1-015-21, made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST); the Georgia Research Alliance; the STC Program of the National Science Foundation under Award DMR-0120967; and the University of Cergy-Pontoise, France.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Why are the Interaction Energies of Charge-Transfer Complexes Challenging for DFT?
- Authors: Steinmann SN, Piemontesi C, Delachat A, Corminboeuf C
- Issue date: 2012 May 8
- Ab Initio Modeling of Donor-Acceptor Interactions and Charge-Transfer Excitations in Molecular Complexes: The Case of Terthiophene-Tetracyanoquinodimethane.
- Authors: Aragó J, Sancho-García JC, Ortí E, Beljonne D
- Issue date: 2011 Jul 12
- Description of intermolecular charge transfer with subsystem density-functional theory.
- Authors: Schulz A, Jacob CR
- Issue date: 2019 Oct 7
- Theoretical study on the charge transfer mechanism at donor/acceptor interface: Why TTF/TCNQ is inadaptable to photovoltaics?
- Authors: Li SB, Geng Y, Duan YA, Sun GY, Zhang M, Qiu YQ, Su ZM
- Issue date: 2016 Dec 28
- Calculating Electron-Transfer Coupling with Density Functional Theory: The Long-Range-Corrected Density Functionals.
- Authors: You ZQ, Hung YC, Hsu CP
- Issue date: 2015 Jun 18