European-scale modelling of groundwater denitrification and associated N2O production
KAUST Grant NumberKUK-C1-017-12
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/598240
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis paper presents a spatially explicit model for simulating the fate of nitrogen (N) in soil and groundwater and nitrous oxide (N 2O) production in groundwater with a 1 km resolution at the European scale. The results show large heterogeneity of nitrate outflow from groundwater to surface water and production of N 2O. This heterogeneity is the result of variability in agricultural and hydrological systems. Large parts of Europe have no groundwater aquifers and short travel times from soil to surface water. In these regions no groundwater denitrification and N 2O production is expected. Predicted N leaching (16% of the N inputs) and N 2O emissions (0.014% of N leaching) are much less than the IPCC default leaching rate and combined emission factor for groundwater and riparian zones, respectively. © 2012 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
CitationKeuskamp JA, van Drecht G, Bouwman AF (2012) European-scale modelling of groundwater denitrification and associated N2O production. Environmental Pollution 165: 67–76. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2012.02.008.
SponsorsThe authors gratefully acknowledge funding by the European Commission DG Research, 6th Framework Programme under the NitroEurope Integrated Project (Contract No 017841; www.nitroeurope.eu). This publication was also supported by Award No KUK-C1-017-12, made available by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), Thuwal, Saudi Arabia.
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Behavior of solid carbon sources for biological denitrification in groundwater remediation.
- Authors: Zhang J, Feng C, Hong S, Hao H, Yang Y
- Issue date: 2012
- Integrated assessment of nitrogen losses from agriculture in EU-27 using MITERRA-EUROPE.
- Authors: Velthof GL, Oudendag D, Witzke HP, Asman WA, Klimont Z, Oenema O
- Issue date: 2009 Mar-Apr
- Land-use controls on sources and fate of nitrate in shallow groundwater of an agricultural area revealed by multiple environmental tracers.
- Authors: Koh DC, Mayer B, Lee KS, Ko KS
- Issue date: 2010 Oct 21
- Modelling denitrification at the catchment scale.
- Authors: Oehler F, Durand P, Bordenave P, Saadi Z, Salmon-Monviola J
- Issue date: 2009 Feb 15
- Verifiable metamodels for nitrate losses to drains and groundwater in the Corn Belt, USA.
- Authors: Nolan BT, Malone RW, Gronberg JA, Thorp KR, Ma L
- Issue date: 2012 Jan 17