Enhancing the Supercapacitor Performance of Graphene/MnO 2 Nanostructured Electrodes by Conductive Wrapping
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-I1-001-12
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/598198
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMnO2 is considered one of the most promising pseudocapactive materials for high-performance supercapacitors given its high theoretical specific capacitance, low-cost, environmental benignity, and natural abundance. However, MnO2 electrodes often suffer from poor electronic and ionic conductivities, resulting in their limited performance in power density and cycling. Here we developed a "conductive wrapping" method to greatly improve the supercapacitor performance of graphene/MnO2-based nanostructured electrodes. By three-dimensional (3D) conductive wrapping of graphene/MnO2 nanostructures with carbon nanotubes or conducting polymer, specific capacitance of the electrodes (considering total mass of active materials) has substantially increased by ∼20% and ∼45%, respectively, with values as high as ∼380 F/g achieved. Moreover, these ternary composite electrodes have also exhibited excellent cycling performance with >95% capacitance retention over 3000 cycles. This 3D conductive wrapping approach represents an exciting direction for enhancing the device performance of metal oxide-based electrochemical supercapacitors and can be generalized for designing next-generation high-performance energy storage devices. © 2011 American Chemical Society.
CitationYu G, Hu L, Liu N, Wang H, Vosgueritchian M, et al. (2011) Enhancing the Supercapacitor Performance of Graphene/MnO 2 Nanostructured Electrodes by Conductive Wrapping . Nano Lett 11: 4438–4442. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/nl2026635.
SponsorsY.C. and Z.B. acknowledge the funding support from the Precourt Institute for Energy at Stanford University. Y.C. also acknowledges the funding support from the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) Investigator Award (No. KUS-I1-001-12).
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Flexible Zn2SnO4/MnO2 core/shell nanocable-carbon microfiber hybrid composites for high-performance supercapacitor electrodes.
- Authors: Bao L, Zang J, Li X
- Issue date: 2011 Mar 9
- Graphene-patched CNT/MnO2 nanocomposite papers for the electrode of high-performance flexible asymmetric supercapacitors.
- Authors: Jin Y, Chen H, Chen M, Liu N, Li Q
- Issue date: 2013 Apr 24
- High-performance nanostructured supercapacitors on a sponge.
- Authors: Chen W, Rakhi RB, Hu L, Xie X, Cui Y, Alshareef HN
- Issue date: 2011 Dec 14
- Layer by layer assembly of ultrathin V₂O₅ anchored MWCNTs and graphene on textile fabrics for fabrication of high energy density flexible supercapacitor electrodes.
- Authors: Shakir I, Ali Z, Bae J, Park J, Kang DJ
- Issue date: 2014 Apr 21
- Freestanding three-dimensional graphene/MnO2 composite networks as ultralight and flexible supercapacitor electrodes.
- Authors: He Y, Chen W, Li X, Zhang Z, Fu J, Zhao C, Xie E
- Issue date: 2013 Jan 22