Enhancing the Photoluminescence Emission of Conjugated MEH-PPV by Light Processing
Yang, Arnold Chang-Mou
KAUST Grant NumberCRG-1-2012-THO-015
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/598197
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe show here that treatment of thin films of conjugated polymers by illumination with light leads to an increase of the intensity of their photoluminescence by up to 42%. The corresponding enhancement of absorbance was much less pronounced. We explain this significant enhancement of photoluminescence by a planarization of the conjugated polymer chains induced by photoexcitations even below the glass transition temperature, possibly due to an increased conjugation length. Interestingly, the photoluminescence remains at the enhanced level for more than 71 h after treatment of the films by illumination with light, likely due to the fact that below the glass transition temperature no restoring force could return the conjugated chains into their initial conformational state. © 2014 American Chemical Society.
CitationBotiz I, Freyberg P, Leordean C, Gabudean A-M, Astilean S, et al. (2014) Enhancing the Photoluminescence Emission of Conjugated MEH-PPV by Light Processing. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 6: 4974–4979. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/am4060244.
SponsorsI.B. thanks Anna Köhler, Eric Bittner, David Vanden Bout, Carlos Silva, Werner Stille, Günter Reiter, and Chung Wing Tsoi for fruitful discussions. I.B. and N.S. acknowledge financial support by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft through the Freiburg Institute for Advanced Studies (FRIAS). In addition, N.S. acknowledges her support by a European Research Council (ERC) Starting Independent Researcher Fellowship under the grant agreement No. 279587 and KAUST Competitive Research Grant (CRG-1-2012-THO-015).
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Probing the pi-stacking induced molecular aggregation in pi-conjugated polymers, oligomers, and their blends of p-phenylenevinylenes.
- Authors: Amrutha SR, Jayakannan M
- Issue date: 2008 Jan 31
- Photoluminescence spectra of a conjugated polymer: from films and solutions to single molecules.
- Authors: Mirzov O, Scheblykin IG
- Issue date: 2006 Dec 21
- Long range energy transfer in conjugated polymer sequential bilayers.
- Authors: Cury LA, Bourdakos KN, Dai D, Dias FB, Monkman AP
- Issue date: 2011 Mar 14
- Thermoluminescence and photoluminescence analyses of MEH-PPV, MDMO-PPV and RU(bpy)3 gamma-irradiated polymer thin films.
- Authors: Ortiz-Morales A, Ortiz-Lopez J, Cruz-Zaragoza E, Gómez-Aguilar R
- Issue date: 2015 Aug
- Effect of the solvent on the conformation of isolated MEH-PPV chains intercalated into SnS2.
- Authors: Aharon E, Breuer S, Jaiser F, Köhler A, Frey GL
- Issue date: 2008 Jul 14