Enhanced Open-Circuit Voltage in Visible Quantum Dot Photovoltaics by Engineering of Carrier-Collecting Electrodes
Koleilat, Ghada I.
Sargent, Edward H.
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-11-009-21
Online Publication Date2011-09-27
Print Publication Date2011-10-26
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/598184
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractColloidal quantum dots (CQDs) enable multijunction solar cells using a single material programmed using the quantum size effect. Here we report the systematic engineering of 1.6 eV PbS CQD solar cells, optimal as the front cell responsible for visible-wavelength harvesting in tandem photovoltaics. We rationally optimize each of the device's collecting electrodes-the heterointerface with electron-accepting TiO2 and the deep-work-function hole-collecting MoO3 for ohmic contact-for maximum efficiency. We report an open-circuit voltage of 0.70 V, the highest observed in a colloidal quantum dot solar cell operating at room temperature. We report an AM1.5 solar power conversion efficiency of 3.5%, the highest observed in >1.5 eV bandgap CQD PV device. © 2011 American Chemical Society.
CitationWang X, Koleilat GI, Fischer A, Tang J, Debnath R, et al. (2011) Enhanced Open-Circuit Voltage in Visible Quantum Dot Photovoltaics by Engineering of Carrier-Collecting Electrodes. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 3: 3792–3795. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/am201097p.
SponsorsThis publication is based in part on work supported by Award KUS-11-009-21, made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), by the Ontario Research Fund Research Excellence Program, and by the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) of Canada. We thank Angstrom Engineering and Innovative Technology for useful discussions regarding material deposition methods and control of glovebox environment, respectively.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Depleted-heterojunction colloidal quantum dot solar cells.
- Authors: Pattantyus-Abraham AG, Kramer IJ, Barkhouse AR, Wang X, Konstantatos G, Debnath R, Levina L, Raabe I, Nazeeruddin MK, Grätzel M, Sargent EH
- Issue date: 2010 Jun 22
- Colloidal quantum dot photovoltaics: a path forward.
- Authors: Kramer IJ, Sargent EH
- Issue date: 2011 Nov 22
- Enhanced mobility-lifetime products in PbS colloidal quantum dot photovoltaics.
- Authors: Jeong KS, Tang J, Liu H, Kim J, Schaefer AW, Kemp K, Levina L, Wang X, Hoogland S, Debnath R, Brzozowski L, Sargent EH, Asbury JB
- Issue date: 2012 Jan 24
- Thiols passivate recombination centers in colloidal quantum dots leading to enhanced photovoltaic device efficiency.
- Authors: Barkhouse DA, Pattantyus-Abraham AG, Levina L, Sargent EH
- Issue date: 2008 Nov 25
- Infrared Colloidal Quantum Dot Photovoltaics via Coupling Enhancement and Agglomeration Suppression.
- Authors: Ip AH, Kiani A, Kramer IJ, Voznyy O, Movahed HF, Levina L, Adachi MM, Hoogland S, Sargent EH
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 22