Enhanced hydrogen and 1,3-propanediol production from glycerol by fermentation using mixed cultures
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/598180
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe conversion of glycerol into high value products, such as hydrogen gas and 1,3-propanediol (PD), was examined using anaerobic fermentation with heat-treated mixed cultures. Glycerol fermentation produced 0.28 mol-H 2/mol-glycerol (72 mL-H2/g-COD) and 0.69 mol-PD/mol-glycerol. Glucose fermentation using the same mixed cultures produced more hydrogen gas (1.06 mol-H2/mol-glucose) but no PD. Changing the source of inoculum affected gas production likely due to prior acclimation of bacteria to this type of substrate. Fermentation of the glycerol produced from biodiesel fuel production (70% glycerol content) produced 0.31 mol-H 2/mol-glycerol (43 mL H2/g-COD) and 0.59 mol-PD/mol-glycerol. These are the highest yields yet reported for both hydrogen and 1,3-propanediol production from pure glycerol and the glycerol byproduct from biodiesel fuel production by fermentation using mixed cultures. These results demonstrate that production of biodiesel can be combined with production of hydrogen and 1,3-propanediol for maximum utilization of resources and minimization of waste. © 2009 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
CitationSelembo PA, Perez JM, Lloyd WA, Logan BE (2009) Enhanced hydrogen and 1,3-propanediol production from glycerol by fermentation using mixed cultures. Biotechnology and Bioengineering 104: 1098–1106. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/bit.22487.
SponsorsThe authors thank S. Cheng and D. Jones for assistance with experiments and analysis, and Nittany Biodiesel for providing B-glycerol samples. Special thanks to Dr. Pat Cirino and Jonathan Chin for help with HPLC analysis. This research was supported in part by the Global Research Partnership (GRP) from KAUST University, the General Electric First-Year Faculty for the Future Fellowship and the Arthur and Elizabeth Rose Memorial Fellowship.
JournalBiotechnology and Bioengineering
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Microbial fed-batch production of 1,3-propanediol using raw glycerol with suspended and immobilized Klebsiella pneumoniae.
- Authors: Jun SA, Moon C, Kang CH, Kong SW, Sang BI, Um Y
- Issue date: 2010 May
- Microbial production of 1,3-propanediol by Klebsiella pneumoniae using crude glycerol from biodiesel preparations.
- Authors: Mu Y, Teng H, Zhang DJ, Wang W, Xiu ZL
- Issue date: 2006 Nov
- Optimization of bio-hydrogen production from biodiesel wastes by Klebsiella pneumoniae.
- Authors: Liu F, Fang B
- Issue date: 2007 Mar
- Effect of biodiesel-derived raw glycerol on 1,3-propanediol production by different microorganisms.
- Authors: Moon C, Ahn JH, Kim SW, Sang BI, Um Y
- Issue date: 2010 May
- 1,3-Propanediol production from crude glycerol from Jatropha biodiesel process.
- Authors: Hiremath A, Kannabiran M, Rangaswamy V
- Issue date: 2011 Jan 31