Enantioselective Epoxide Polymerization Using a Bimetallic Cobalt Catalyst
AuthorsThomas, Renee M.
Widger, Peter C. B.
Ahmed, Syud M.
Jeske, Ryan C.
Lobkovsky, Emil B.
Coates, Geoffrey W.
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-C1-018-02
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA highly active enantiopure bimetallic cobalt complex was explored for the enantioselective polymerization of a variety of monosubstituted epoxides. The polymerizations were optimized for high rates and stereoselectivity, with s-factors (kfast/kslow) for most epoxides exceeding 50 and some exceeding 300, well above the threshold for preparative utility of enantiopure epoxides and isotactic polyethers. Values for mm triads of the resulting polymers are typically greater than 95%, with some even surpassing 98%. In addition, the use of a racemic catalyst allowed the preparation of isotactic polyethers in quantitative yields. The thermal properties of these isotactic polyethers are presented, with many polymers exhibiting high T m values. This is the first report of the rapid synthesis of a broad range of highly isotactic polyethers via the enantioselective polymerization of racemic epoxides. © 2010 American Chemical Society.
CitationThomas RM, Widger PCB, Ahmed SM, Jeske RC, Hirahata W, et al. (2010) Enantioselective Epoxide Polymerization Using a Bimetallic Cobalt Catalyst. Journal of the American Chemical Society 132: 16520–16525. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/ja1058422.
SponsorsWe thank the NSF (CHE-0809778), King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST; Award No. KUS-C1-018-02), and Sumitomo Chemicals for support. This research made use of the Cornell Center for Materials Research Shared Experimental Facilities supported through the NSF MRSEC program (DMR-0502404). R.M.T. acknowledges a Hunter Rawlings Cornell Presidential Research Scholarship. We thank Mr. Tom Mourey and Ms. Lisa Slater for GPC analysis of poly(1,1,1-trifluoro-2,3-epoxypropane) and Dr. Ivan Keresztes for assistance with the NMR analysis of 3.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Enantioselective polymerization of epoxides: a highly active and selective catalyst for the preparation of stereoregular polyethers and enantiopure epoxides.
- Authors: Hirahata W, Thomas RM, Lobkovsky EB, Coates GW
- Issue date: 2008 Dec 31
- Isospecific polymerization of racemic epoxides: a catalyst system for the synthesis of highly isotactic polyethers.
- Authors: Widger PC, Ahmed SM, Hirahata W, Thomas RM, Lobkovsky EB, Coates GW
- Issue date: 2010 May 7
- Biotechnological production of enantiopure epoxides by enzymatic kinetic resolution.
- Authors: Choi WJ
- Issue date: 2009 Aug
- Highly selective hydrolytic kinetic resolution of terminal epoxides catalyzed by chiral (salen)Co(III) complexes. Practical synthesis of enantioenriched terminal epoxides and 1,2-diols.
- Authors: Schaus SE, Brandes BD, Larrow JF, Tokunaga M, Hansen KB, Gould AE, Furrow ME, Jacobsen EN
- Issue date: 2002 Feb 20
- Improved catalytic activity of homochiral dimeric cobalt-salen complex in hydrolytic kinetic resolution of terminal racemic epoxides.
- Authors: Kureshy RI, Singh S, Khan NU, Abdi SH, Ahmad I, Bhatt A, Jasra RV
- Issue date: 2005 Nov