Enantioselective construction of quaternary N-heterocycles by palladium-catalysed decarboxylative allylic alkylation of lactams
AuthorsBehenna, Douglas C.
White, David E.
Virgil, Scott C.
Stoltz, Brian M.
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-11-006-02
Online Publication Date2011-12-18
Print Publication Date2012-02
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/598160
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe enantioselective synthesis of nitrogen-containing heterocycles (N-heterocycles) represents a substantial chemical research effort and resonates across numerous disciplines, including the total synthesis of natural products and medicinal chemistry. In this Article, we describe the highly enantioselective palladium-catalysed decarboxylative allylic alkylation of readily available lactams to form 3,3-disubstituted pyrrolidinones, piperidinones, caprolactams and structurally related lactams. Given the prevalence of quaternary N-heterocycles in biologically active alkaloids and pharmaceutical agents, we envisage that our method will provide a synthetic entry into the de novo asymmetric synthesis of such structures. As an entry for these investigations we demonstrate how the described catalysis affords enantiopure quaternary lactams that intercept synthetic intermediates previously used in the synthesis of the Aspidosperma alkaloids quebrachamine and rhazinilam, but that were previously only available by chiral auxiliary approaches or as racemic mixtures. © 2012 Macmillan Publishers Limited. All rights reserved.
CitationBehenna DC, Liu Y, Yurino T, Kim J, White DE, et al. (2011) Enantioselective construction of quaternary N-heterocycles by palladium-catalysed decarboxylative allylic alkylation of lactams. Nature Chem 4: 130–133. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/NCHEM.1222.
SponsorsThis publication is based on work supported by award from the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST; no. KUS-11-006-02). The authors thank NIH-NIGMS (R01GM080269-01 and a postdoctoral fellowship to D.E.W.), the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation, Amgen, Abbott, Boehringer Ingelheim and Caltech for financial support. T.Y. acknowledges the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science for a predoctoral fellowship.
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Enantioselective synthesis of dialkylated N-heterocycles by palladium-catalyzed allylic alkylation.
- Authors: Numajiri Y, Jiménez-Osés G, Wang B, Houk KN, Stoltz BM
- Issue date: 2015 Mar 6
- Catalytic enantioselective construction of quaternary stereocenters: assembly of key building blocks for the synthesis of biologically active molecules.
- Authors: Liu Y, Han SJ, Liu WB, Stoltz BM
- Issue date: 2015 Mar 17
- An Efficient Protocol for the Palladium-catalyzed Asymmetric Decarboxylative Allylic Alkylation Using Low Palladium Concentrations and a Palladium(II) Precatalyst.
- Authors: Marziale AN, Duquette DC, Craig RA 2nd, Kim KE, Liniger M, Numajiri Y, Stoltz BM
- Issue date: 2015 Jul 6
- Enantioselective synthesis of α-secondary and α-tertiary piperazin-2-ones and piperazines by catalytic asymmetric allylic alkylation.
- Authors: Korch KM, Eidamshaus C, Behenna DC, Nam S, Horne D, Stoltz BM
- Issue date: 2015 Jan 2
- Expanding insight into asymmetric palladium-catalyzed allylic alkylation of N-heterocyclic molecules and cyclic ketones.
- Authors: Bennett NB, Duquette DC, Kim J, Liu WB, Marziale AN, Behenna DC, Virgil SC, Stoltz BM
- Issue date: 2013 Apr 2