Electricity generation from fermented primary sludge using single-chamber air-cathode microbial fuel cells
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-I1-003-13
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/598130
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSingle-chamber air-cathode microbial fuel cells (MFCs) were used to generate electricity from fermented primary sludge. Fermentation (30°C, 9days) decreased total suspended solids (26.1-16.5g/L), volatile suspended solids (24.1-15.3g/L) and pH (5.7-4.5), and increased conductivity (2.4-4.7mS/cm), soluble COD (2.66-15.5g/L), and volatile fatty acids (1.9-10.1g/L). To lower the COD and increase pH, fermentation supernatant was diluted with primary effluent before being used in the MFCs. The maximum power density was 0.32±0.01W/m2, compared to 0.24±0.03W/m2 with only primary effluent. Power densities were higher with phosphate buffer added to the supernatant (1.03±0.06W/m2) or the solution (0.87±0.05W/m2). Coulombic efficiencies ranged from 18% to 57%, and sCOD removals from 84% to 94%. These results demonstrated that sludge can effectively be used for power generation when fermented and then diluted with only primary effluent. © 2012 Elsevier Ltd.
CitationYang F, Ren L, Pu Y, Logan BE (2013) Electricity generation from fermented primary sludge using single-chamber air-cathode microbial fuel cells. Bioresource Technology 128: 784–787. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2012.10.021.
SponsorsWe thank Fang Zhang and Yong Luo for advice on MFC configurations, and David Jones and Xiuping Zhu for their help on VFAs measurements. This work was supported by Award KUS-I1-003-13 from the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), and Jiangsu Province Graduate Innovation Project (CX10B-087Z).
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Pre-acclimation of a wastewater inoculum to cellulose in an aqueous-cathode MEC improves power generation in air-cathode MFCs.
- Authors: Cheng S, Kiely P, Logan BE
- Issue date: 2011 Jan
- Increased power generation from primary sludge in microbial fuel cells coupled with prefermentation.
- Authors: Choi J, Ahn Y
- Issue date: 2014 Dec
- Increased sustainable electricity generation in up-flow air-cathode microbial fuel cells.
- Authors: You S, Zhao Q, Zhang J, Liu H, Jiang J, Zhao S
- Issue date: 2008 Feb 28
- Enhancing simultaneous electricity production and reduction of sewage sludge in two-chamber MFC by aerobic sludge digestion and sludge pretreatments.
- Authors: Xiao B, Yang F, Liu J
- Issue date: 2011 May 15
- Evaluation of electricity generation from ultrasonic and heat/alkaline pretreatment of different sludge types using microbial fuel cells.
- Authors: Oh SE, Yoon JY, Gurung A, Kim DJ
- Issue date: 2014 Aug