Electrical control of memristance and magnetoresistance in oxide magnetic tunnel junctions
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractElectric-field control of magnetic and transport properties of magnetic tunnel junctions has promising applications in spintronics. Here, we experimentally demonstrate a reversible electrical manipulation of memristance, magnetoresistance, and exchange bias in Co/CoO–ZnO/Co magnetic tunnel junctions, which enables the realization of four nonvolatile resistance states. Moreover, greatly enhanced tunneling magnetoresistance of 68% was observed due to the enhanced spin polarization of the bottom Co/CoO interface. The ab initio calculations further indicate that the spin polarization of the Co/CoO interface is as high as 73% near the Fermi level and plenty of oxygen vacancies can induce metal–insulator transition of the CoO1−v layer. Thus, the electrical manipulation mechanism on the memristance, magnetoresistance and exchange bias can be attributed to the electric-field-driven migration of oxygen ions/vacancies between very thin CoO and ZnO layers.
CitationZhang K, Cao Y, Fang Y, Li Q, Zhang J, et al. (2015) Electrical control of memristance and magnetoresistance in oxide magnetic tunnel junctions. Nanoscale 7: 6334–6339. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/c5nr00522a.
SponsorsY.W. Fang appreciates useful discussions with U.D. Wdowik of Pedagogical University, S. Grytsyuk from KAUST and Prof. Marie-Liesse Doublet from CNRS. This work was supported by the key program of NSFC no. 11434006, the NBRP of China no. 2013CB922303 and 2014CB921104, the NSF for Distinguished Young Scholars of China (no. 51125004), 111 project no. B13029, and NSFC no. 11374187 and 61125403.
PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Spin memristive magnetic tunnel junctions with CoO-ZnO nano composite barrier.
- Authors: Li Q, Shen TT, Cao YL, Zhang K, Yan SS, Tian YF, Kang SS, Zhao MW, Dai YY, Chen YX, Liu GL, Mei LM, Wang XL, Grünberg P
- Issue date: 2014 Jan 23
- Negative spin polarization and large tunneling magnetoresistance in epitaxial Co/SrTiO(3)/Co magnetic tunnel junctions.
- Authors: Velev JP, Belashchenko KD, Stewart DA, van Schilfgaarde M, Jaswal SS, Tsymbal EY
- Issue date: 2005 Nov 18
- Bias dependence of tunneling magnetoresistance in magnetic tunnel junctions with asymmetric barriers.
- Authors: Kalitsov A, Zermatten PJ, Bonell F, Gaudin G, Andrieu S, Tiusan C, Chshiev M, Velev JP
- Issue date: 2013 Dec 11
- Spin manipulation in Co-doped ZnO.
- Authors: Xu Q, Hartmann L, Zhou S, Mcklich A, Helm M, Biehne G, Hochmuth H, Lorenz M, Grundmann M, Schmidt H
- Issue date: 2008 Aug 15
- Realization of resistive switching and magnetoresistance in ZnO/ZnO-Co composite materials.
- Authors: Li X, Jia J, Li Y, Bai Y, Li J, Shi Y, Wang L, Xu X
- Issue date: 2016 Sep 2