Effects of piezoelectric potential on the transport characteristics of metal-ZnO nanowire-metal field effect transistor
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe have investigated the effects of piezoelectric potential in a ZnO nanowire on the transport characteristics of the nanowire based field effect transistor through numerical calculations and experimental observations. Under different straining conditions including stretching, compressing, twisting, and their combination, a piezoelectric potential is created throughout the nanowire to modulatealternate the transport property of the metal-ZnO nanowire contacts, resulting in a switch between symmetric and asymmetric contacts at the two ends, or even turning an Ohmic contact type into a diode. The commonly observed natural rectifying behavior of the as-fabricated ZnO nanowire can be attributed to the strain that was unpurposely created in the nanowire during device fabrication and material handling. This work provides further evidence on piezopotential governed electronic transport and devices, e.g., piezotronics.
CitationGao Z, Zhou J, Gu Y, Fei P, Hao Y, et al. (2009) Effects of piezoelectric potential on the transport characteristics of metal-ZnO nanowire-metal field effect transistor. Journal of Applied Physics 105: 113707. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.3125449.
SponsorsResearch supported by DARPA (Army/AMCOM/REDSTONE AR, Grant No. W31P4Q-08-1-0009), BES DOE (Grant No. DE-FG02-07ER46394), Air Force Office (Grant No. FA9550-08-1-0446), DARPA/ARO Grant No. W911NF-08-1-0249, KAUST Global Research Partnership, World Premier International Research Center (WPI) Initiative on Materials Nanoarchitectonics, MEXT, Japan, EmoryGeorgia Tech CCNE from NIH (Grant No. CA119338), and NSF (Grant Nos. DMS 0706436 and CMMI 0403671). Z.Y.G., Y.D.G., and P. F. thank the partial fellowship support by the China Scholarship Council (CSC) (Grant No. 20073020)
JournalJournal of Applied Physics
PubMed Central IDPMC2719466
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Fundamental theory of piezotronics.
- Authors: Zhang Y, Liu Y, Wang ZL
- Issue date: 2011 Jul 19
- Piezopotential gated nanowire--nanotube hybrid field-effect transistor.
- Authors: Liu W, Lee M, Ding L, Liu J, Wang ZL
- Issue date: 2010 Aug 11
- Stability of Schottky and Ohmic Au Nanocatalysts to ZnO Nanowires.
- Authors: Lord AM, Ramasse QM, Kepaptsoglou DM, Periwal P, Ross FM, Wilks SP
- Issue date: 2017 Nov 8
- Designing the electric transport characteristics of ZnO micro/nanowire devices by coupling piezoelectric and photoexcitation effects.
- Authors: Hu Y, Chang Y, Fei P, Snyder RL, Wang ZL
- Issue date: 2010 Feb 23
- ZnO piezoelectric fine wire gated graphene oxide field effect transistor.
- Authors: Mohan R, Krishnamoorthy K, Kim GS, Kim SJ
- Issue date: 2013 May