Effect of vitamin B12 pulse addition on the performance of cobalt deprived anaerobic granular sludge bioreactors
KAUST Grant NumberKUK-C1-017-12
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/598065
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe effect of a pulse addition of vitamin B12 as cobalt source to restore the performance of cobalt depleted methanol-fed bioreactors was investigated. One upflow anaerobic sludge bed (UASB) reactor was supplied with a pulse of vitamin B12, and its operation was compared to that of another cobalt depleted UASB reactor to which a pulse of CoCl2 was given. The addition of cobalt in the form of CoCl2 supplies enough cobalt to restore methanogenesis and maintain full methanol degradation coupled to methane production during more than 35 days after the CoCl2 pulse. Similar to CoCl2, pulse addition of vitamin B12 supplies enough cobalt to maintain full methanol degradation during more than 35 days after the pulse. However, the specific methanogenic activities (SMAs) of the sludge in the vitamin B12 supplied reactor were around 3 times higher than the SMA of the sludge from the CoCl2 supplied reactor at the same sampling times. An appropriate dosing strategy (repeated pulse dosing) combined with the choice of vitamin B12 as the cobalt species is suggested as a promising dosing strategy for methanol-fed anaerobic bioreactors limited by the micronutrient cobalt. © 2010 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
CitationFermoso FG, Bartacek J, Lens PNL (2010) Effect of vitamin B12 pulse addition on the performance of cobalt deprived anaerobic granular sludge bioreactors. Bioresource Technology 101: 5201–5205. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2010.02.047.
SponsorsThis research was funded by Marie Curie Excellence Grant "Novel biogeological engineering processes for heavy metal removal and recovery" (MEXT-CT-2003-509567) and by Award No. KUK-C1-017-12, made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Influence of pH shocks on trace metal dynamics and performance of methanol fed granular sludge bioreactors.
- Authors: Zandvoort MH, van Hullebusch ED, Peerbolte A, Golubnic S, Lettinga G, Lens PN
- Issue date: 2005 Dec
- Stimulation of methanol degradation in UASB reactors: in situ versus pre-loading cobalt on anaerobic granular sludge.
- Authors: Zandvoort MH, Gieteling J, Lettinga G, Lens PN
- Issue date: 2004 Sep 30
- Upflow anaerobic sludge blanket reactor--a review.
- Authors: Bal AS, Dhagat NN
- Issue date: 2001 Apr
- Effect of long-term cobalt deprivation on methanol degradation in a methanogenic granular sludge bioreactor.
- Authors: Zandvoort MH, Geerts R, Lettinga G, Lens PN
- Issue date: 2002 Nov-Dec
- Dosing of anaerobic granular sludge bioreactors with cobalt: impact of cobalt retention on methanogenic activity.
- Authors: Fermoso FG, Bartacek J, Manzano R, van Leeuwen HP, Lens PN
- Issue date: 2010 Dec