AuthorsKirkham, Glen R.
Byrne, Helen M.
Jensen, Oliver E.
King, John R.
Shakesheff, Kevin M.
Buttery, Lee D. K.
KAUST Grant NumberKUK-C1-013-03
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/598045
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe early gene regulatory networks (GRNs) that mediate stem cell differentiation are complex, and the underlying regulatory associations can be difficult to map accurately. In this study, the expression profiles of the genes Dlx5, Msx2 and Runx2 in mouse embryonic stem cells were monitored over a 48 hour period after exposure to the growth factors BMP2 and TGFβ1. Candidate GRNs of early osteogenesis were constructed based on published experimental findings and simulation results of Boolean and ordinary differential equation models were compared with our experimental data in order to test the validity of these models. Three gene regulatory networks were found to be consistent with the data, one of these networks exhibited sustained oscillation, a behaviour which is consistent with the general view of embryonic stem cell plasticity. The work cycle presented in this paper illustrates how mathematical modelling can be used to elucidate from gene expression profiles GRNs that are consistent with experimental data. © 2012 The Royal Society of Chemistry.
CitationKirkham GR, Lovrics A, Byrne HM, Jensen OE, King JR, et al. (2012) Early gene regulation of osteogenesis in embryonic stem cells. Integrative Biology 4: 1470. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/c2ib20164j.
SponsorsThe BBSRC/EPSRC for funding project number BB/D008522/1. This publication was based on work supported in part by Award No. KUK-C1-013-03, made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- GDF-5 and BMP-2 regulate bone cell differentiation by gene expression of MSX1, MSX2, Dlx5, and Runx2 and influence OCN gene expression in vitro.
- Authors: Koch FP, Weinbach C, Hustert E, Al-Nawas B, Wagner W
- Issue date: 2012 Jun
- Conserved regulatory motifs in osteogenic gene promoters integrate cooperative effects of canonical Wnt and BMP pathways.
- Authors: Rodríguez-Carballo E, Ulsamer A, Susperregui AR, Manzanares-Céspedes C, Sánchez-García E, Bartrons R, Rosa JL, Ventura F
- Issue date: 2011 Apr
- Modulation of stem cell shape and fate B: mechanical modulation of cell shape and gene expression.
- Authors: McBride SH, Falls T, Knothe Tate ML
- Issue date: 2008 Sep
- Differential Hox expression in murine embryonic stem cell models of normal and malignant hematopoiesis.
- Authors: Wheadon H, Ramsey JM, Dobbin E, Dickson GJ, Corrigan PM, Freeburn RW, Thompson A
- Issue date: 2011 Aug
- BMP2 regulates Osterix through Msx2 and Runx2 during osteoblast differentiation.
- Authors: Matsubara T, Kida K, Yamaguchi A, Hata K, Ichida F, Meguro H, Aburatani H, Nishimura R, Yoneda T
- Issue date: 2008 Oct 24