KAUST Grant NumberKUK-C1-013-04
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe use x-ray photon correlation spectroscopy (XPCS) to probe the dynamics of colloidal particles in polycrystalline ice. During freezing, the dendritic ice morphology and rejection of particles from the ice created regions of high particle density, where some of the colloids were forced into contact and formed disordered aggregates. The particles in these high density regions underwent ballistic motion, with a characteristic velocity that increased with temperature. This ballistic motion is coupled with both stretched and compressed exponential decays of the intensity autocorrelation function. We suggest that this behavior could result from ice grain boundary migration. © 2011 American Institute of Physics.
CitationSpannuth M, Mochrie SGJ, Peppin SSL, Wettlaufer JS (2011) Dynamics of colloidal particles in ice. J Chem Phys 135: 224706. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.3665927.
SponsorsWe thank S. Narayanan, A. Sandy, and M. Sprung for assistance with the XPCS experiments, and X. Lu, J. Neufeld, E. Thomson, and L. Wilen for useful discussions. M.S. acknowledges the NSF Graduate Research Fellowship for support. S.G.J.M. thanks the NSF for support via DMR-0906697. S.S.L.P. acknowledges support from KAUST Award KUK-C1-013-04. J.S.W. acknowledges support from NSF Grant OPP0440841, the US DoE Grant DE-FG02-05ER15741, and the Wenner-Gren and John Simon Guggenheim Foundations. Use of the Advanced Photon Source was supported by the US DoE under Contract No. DE-AC02-06CH11357.
JournalThe Journal of Chemical Physics
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Assembly of colloidal nanoparticles directed by the microstructures of polycrystalline ice.
- Authors: Shen X, Chen L, Li D, Zhu L, Wang H, Liu C, Wang Y, Xiong Q, Chen H
- Issue date: 2011 Oct 25
- Compressed exponential relaxation in liquid silicon: universal feature of the crossover from ballistic to diffusive behavior in single-particle dynamics.
- Authors: Morishita T
- Issue date: 2012 Jul 14
- Anomalous Dynamics of Magnetic Anisotropic Colloids Studied by XPCS.
- Authors: Pal A, Zinn T, Kamal MA, Narayanan T, Schurtenberger P
- Issue date: 2018 Aug 13
- Particle-scale structure in frozen colloidal suspensions from small-angle x-ray scattering.
- Authors: Spannuth M, Mochrie SG, Peppin SS, Wettlaufer JS
- Issue date: 2011 Feb
- Colloidal assembly by ice templating.
- Authors: Kumaraswamy G, Biswas B, Choudhury CK
- Issue date: 2016