Dosing of anaerobic granular sludge bioreactors with cobalt: Impact of cobalt retention on methanogenic activity
KAUST Grant NumberKUK-C1-017-12
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/598015
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe effect of dosing a metal limited anaerobic sludge blanket (UASB) reactor with a metal pulse on the methanogenic activity of granular sludge has thus far not been successfully modeled. The prediction of this effect is crucial in order to optimize the strategy for metal dosage and to prevent unnecessary losses of resources. This paper describes the relation between the initial immobilization of cobalt in anaerobic granular sludge cobalt dosage into the reactor and the evolution of methanogenic activity during the subsequent weeks. An operationally defined parameter (A0· B0) was found to combine the amount of cobalt immobilized instantaneously upon the pulse (B0) and the amount of cobalt immobilized within the subsequent 24. h (A0). In contrast with the individual parameters A0 and B0, the parameter A0· B0 correlated significantly with the methanogenic activity of the sludge during the subsequent 16 or 35. days. This correlation between metal retention and activity evolution is a useful tool to implement trace metal dosing strategies for biofilm-based biotechnological processes. © 2010.
CitationFermoso FG, Bartacek J, Manzano R, van Leeuwen HP, Lens PNL (2010) Dosing of anaerobic granular sludge bioreactors with cobalt: Impact of cobalt retention on methanogenic activity. Bioresource Technology 101: 9429–9437. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2010.07.053.
SponsorsThis research was funded by Marie Curie Excellence "No- Grant vel biogeological engineering processes for heavy metal removal and recovery" (MEXT-CT-2003-509567), Marie Curie Intra-European Fellowships "Bioavailability of Heavy Metals in Anaerobic Granular Sludge" (MEIF-CT-2006-041896) and by Award No. KUK-C1-017-12, made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Stimulation of methanol degradation in UASB reactors: in situ versus pre-loading cobalt on anaerobic granular sludge.
- Authors: Zandvoort MH, Gieteling J, Lettinga G, Lens PN
- Issue date: 2004 Sep 30
- Upflow anaerobic sludge blanket reactor--a review.
- Authors: Bal AS, Dhagat NN
- Issue date: 2001 Apr
- Effect of vitamin B12 pulse addition on the performance of cobalt deprived anaerobic granular sludge bioreactors.
- Authors: Fermoso FG, Bartacek J, Lens PN
- Issue date: 2010 Jul
- Effect of long-term cobalt deprivation on methanol degradation in a methanogenic granular sludge bioreactor.
- Authors: Zandvoort MH, Geerts R, Lettinga G, Lens PN
- Issue date: 2002 Nov-Dec
- Effects of high salinity wastewater on methanogenic sludge bed systems.
- Authors: Ismail SB, Gonzalez P, Jeison D, van Lier JB
- Issue date: 2008