DNA Duplex Length and Salt Concentration Dependence of Enthalpy−Entropy Compensation Parameters for DNA Melting
AbstractSystematical differential calorimetry experiments on DNA oligomers with different lengths and placed in water solutions with various added salt concentrations may, in principle, unravel important information about the structure and dynamics of the DNA and their water-counterion surrounding. With this in mind, to reinterpret the most recent results of calorimetric experiments on DNA oligomers of such a kind, the recent enthalpy-entropy compensation theory has been used. It is demonstrated that the application of the latter could enable direct estimation of thermodynamic parameters of the microphase transitions connected to the changes in DNA dynamical regimes versus the length of the biopolymers and the ionic strengths of their water solutions, and this calls for much more systematical experimental and theoretical studies in this field. © 2009 American Chemical Society.
CitationStarikov EB, Nordén B (2009) DNA Duplex Length and Salt Concentration Dependence of Enthalpy−Entropy Compensation Parameters for DNA Melting. J Phys Chem B 113: 11375–11377. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jp903924j.
SponsorsB.N. gratefully acknowledges the Award of 2008 from King Abdullah University of Science and Technology.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Counterion association with native and denatured nucleic acids: an experimental approach.
- Authors: Völker J, Klump HH, Manning GS, Breslauer KJ
- Issue date: 2001 Jul 27
- Enthalpies of DNA melting in the presence of osmolytes.
- Authors: Spink CH, Garbett N, Chaires JB
- Issue date: 2007 Mar
- Effects of sodium ions on DNA duplex oligomers: improved predictions of melting temperatures.
- Authors: Owczarzy R, You Y, Moreira BG, Manthey JA, Huang L, Behlke MA, Walder JA
- Issue date: 2004 Mar 30
- Microfluidic thermodynamics of the shift in thermal stability of DNA duplex in a microchannel laminar flow.
- Authors: Yamashita K, Miyazaki M, Yamaguchi Y, Nakamura H, Maeda H
- Issue date: 2007 Jun 7
- Influence of buffer species on the thermodynamics of short DNA duplex melting: sodium phosphate versus sodium cacodylate.
- Authors: Alemayehu S, Fish DJ, Brewood GP, Horne MT, Manyanga F, Dickman R, Yates I, Benight AS
- Issue date: 2009 Mar 5