Dispersal and noise: Various modes of synchrony in ecological oscillators
KAUST Grant NumberKUK-C1-013-04
Online Publication Date2012-10-21
Print Publication Date2013-12
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/597997
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe use the theory of noise-induced phase synchronization to analyze the effects of dispersal on the synchronization of a pair of predator-prey systems within a fluctuating environment (Moran effect). Assuming that each isolated local population acts as a limit cycle oscillator in the deterministic limit, we use phase reduction and averaging methods to derive a Fokker-Planck equation describing the evolution of the probability density for pairwise phase differences between the oscillators. In the case of common environmental noise, the oscillators ultimately synchronize. However the approach to synchrony depends on whether or not dispersal in the absence of noise supports any stable asynchronous states. We also show how the combination of partially correlated noise with dispersal can lead to a multistable steady-state probability density. © 2012 Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg.
CitationBressloff PC, Lai YM (2012) Dispersal and noise: Various modes of synchrony in ecological oscillators. Journal of Mathematical Biology 67: 1669–1690. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00285-012-0607-9.
SponsorsThis publication was based on work supported in part by the National Science Foundation (DMS-1120327) and the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology Award No. KUK-C1-013-04.
JournalJournal of Mathematical Biology
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Effects of demographic noise on the synchronization of a metapopulation in a fluctuating environment.
- Authors: Lai YM, Newby J, Bressloff PC
- Issue date: 2011 Sep 9
- Temporal patterns of dispersal-induced synchronization in population dynamics.
- Authors: Ahn S, Rubchinsky LL
- Issue date: 2020 Apr 7
- The roles of the Moran effect and dispersal in synchronizing oscillating populations.
- Authors: Goldwyn EE, Hastings A
- Issue date: 2011 Nov 21
- How robust is dispersal-induced spatial synchrony?
- Authors: Zhang Y, Lutscher F, Guichard F
- Issue date: 2015 Mar
- Spatial Scales of Population Synchrony in Predator-Prey Systems.
- Authors: Jarillo J, Sæther BE, Engen S, Cao-García FJ
- Issue date: 2020 Feb