Design of Transparent Anodes for Resonant Cavity Enhanced Light Harvesting in Organic Solar Cells
AuthorsSergeant, Nicholas P.
Rand, Barry P.
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-C1-015-21
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe use of an ITO-free MoO 3/Ag/MoO 3 anode to control the photon harvesting in PCDTBT:PC 70BM solar cells is proposed. At first sight, the fact that these anodes possess reduced far-field transmission compared to ITO may seem to be a disadvantage. But, despite this, we show that by carefully tuning the resonant optical cavity we can enhance the external quantum efficiency close to the band edge of PCDTBT, resulting in high photocurrent and power conversion efficiency on par with ITO. Copyright © 2012 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim.
CitationSergeant NP, Hadipour A, Niesen B, Cheyns D, Heremans P, et al. (2012) Design of Transparent Anodes for Resonant Cavity Enhanced Light Harvesting in Organic Solar Cells. Advanced Materials 24: 728–732. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/adma.201104273.
SponsorsWe would like to thank St Jean Photochemicals (Montreal, CA, USA) for providing the PCDTBT polymer. This publication was partially based on work supported by the Center for Advanced Molecular Photovoltaics (CAMP) (Award No KUS-C1-015-21), made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). The authors thank Prof. M.D. McGehee, Dr. P. Catrysse and Prof. S. Fan for insightful discussions. N.P.S. acknowledges the financial support as a Francqui fellow of the Belgian American Educational Foundation.
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Efficiency enhancement of organic solar cells using transparent plasmonic Ag nanowire electrodes.
- Authors: Kang MG, Xu T, Park HJ, Luo X, Guo LJ
- Issue date: 2010 Oct 15
- Device engineering for highly efficient top-illuminated organic solar cells with microcavity structures.
- Authors: Lin HW, Chiu SW, Lin LY, Hung ZY, Chen YH, Lin F, Wong KT
- Issue date: 2012 May 2
- Organic photovoltaic devices using highly flexible reduced graphene oxide films as transparent electrodes.
- Authors: Yin Z, Sun S, Salim T, Wu S, Huang X, He Q, Lam YM, Zhang H
- Issue date: 2010 Sep 28
- Interface engineering of layer-by-layer stacked graphene anodes for high-performance organic solar cells.
- Authors: Wang Y, Tong SW, Xu XF, Ozyilmaz B, Loh KP
- Issue date: 2011 Apr 5
- Woven electrodes for flexible organic photovoltaic cells.
- Authors: Kylberg W, de Castro FA, Chabrecek P, Sonderegger U, Chu BT, Nüesch F, Hany R
- Issue date: 2011 Feb 22