Deposition of LDH on plasma treated polylactic acid to reduce water permeability
Giannelis, Emmanuel P.
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-C1-018-02
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/597935
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA simple and scalable deposition process was developed to prepare polylactic acid (PLA) coatings with enhanced water barrier properties for food packaging applications. This method based on electrostatic interactions between the positively charged layers of layered double hydroxides (LDHs) modified with ionic liquids (ILs) and the negatively charged plasma treated polylactic acid leads to homogeneous, stable, and highly durable coatings. Deposition of the LDH coatings increases the surface hydrophobicity of the neat PLA, which results to a decrease in water permeability by about 35%. © 2013 Elsevier Inc.
CitationBugatti V, Livi S, Hayrapetyan S, Wang Y, Estevez L, et al. (2013) Deposition of LDH on plasma treated polylactic acid to reduce water permeability. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 396: 47–52. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2013.01.006.
SponsorsThis publication was based on work supported in part by Award No. KUS-C1-018-02, made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Efficient Gas Barrier and Antibacterial Properties of Poly(lactic acid) Nanocomposites: Functionalization with Phytic Acid-Cu(II) Loaded Layered Clay.
- Authors: Lei Y, Mao L, Yao J, Li Z
- Issue date: 2020 Apr 27
- Synthesis and physical properties of new layered double hydroxides based on ionic liquids: application to a polylactide matrix.
- Authors: Livi S, Bugatti V, Estevez L, Duchet-Rumeau J, Giannelis EP
- Issue date: 2012 Dec 15
- Effect of dispersion pH on the formation and stability of Pickering emulsions stabilized by layered double hydroxides particles.
- Authors: Yang F, Niu Q, Lan Q, Sun D
- Issue date: 2007 Feb 15
- Continuous Processing of Nanocellulose and Polylactic Acid into Multilayer Barrier Coatings.
- Authors: Koppolu R, Lahti J, Abitbol T, Swerin A, Kuusipalo J, Toivakka M
- Issue date: 2019 Mar 27
- Application of layered double hydroxides for removal of oxyanions: a review.
- Authors: Goh KH, Lim TT, Dong Z
- Issue date: 2008 Mar